Chapter 58: Solve the Murder/ Save the Life

Transcript provided by Ariane Devere/ Callie Sullivan

***

Immediately, John and Alice straightened up.

"What did he say?" Lestrade asked, returning to his seat.

"A warning," Alice whispered "Someone's going to die,"

"You two," Sherlock said as he pointed to John and Alice. "John and Alice, you keep me right,"

John stood up while Alice stayed in her seat. 'What do you need us to do?" John asked.

"You've already done it: help me solve the murder and save the life," Sherlock drew in a deep breath before turning back to the confused audience. "Sorry, off-piste a bit. Let's play a game. Let's play Murder,"

"Sherlock," Mrs. Hudson said disapprovingly.

"Imagine someone's going to get murdered at a wedding. Who exactly would you pick?"

"Think you're a popular choice at the moment, dear,"

"If someone could move Mrs. Hudson's glass just slightly out of reach, that would be lovely," Sherlock said, gesturing behind him. "More importantly, who could you only kill at a wedding? Most people you could kill any old place. As a mental exercise, I've often planned the murder of friends and colleagues. John, I'd poison. Sloppy eater, dead easy. I've given him chemicals and compounds that way, he's never even noticed. He missed a whole Wednesday once, didn't have a clue. Lestrade's so easy it's a miracle no one's succumbed to the temptation. I've got a pair of keys to my brother's house. I could easily break in there and asphyxiate him... if the whim arose,"

"He's pissed, isn't he?" Tom asked quietly. Molly promptly stabbed him with the tines of her fork.

"So, once again, who could you only kill here? Clearly, it's a rare opportunity, so it's someone who doesn't get out much. Someone for whom a planned social encounter known about months in advance is an exception. Has to be a unique opportunity. And since killing them in public is difficult, killing them in private isn't an option. Someone who lives in an inaccessible or unknown location. Possibly someone under threat. A recluse with small household staff, probably all signed confidentiality agreements,"

In his Mind Palace, all of the guests have disappeared except for Major Sholto.

"There is another question that remains, however- a bit one: How would you do it? How would you kill someone in public?" Sherlock walked over to Sholto and casually dropped a name card down in front of the Major.

It's you

"Mr. Holmes! Mr. Holmes!" Archie shouted as he excitedly jumped out of his chair.

Sherlock smiled and turned to the boy. "Oh, hello again, Archie. What's your theory? Get this right and there's a headless nun in it for you,"

"The invisible man could do it!" Archie exclaimed.

"The who, the what, the why, the when, the where?" Sherlock asked in rapid-fire.

"The invisible man with the invisible knife. The one who tried to kill the Guardsman,"

Sherlock gasped in realisation and turned to Alice, who nodded in agreement. Alice turned and saw Sholto leave the venue. "Ladies and gentlemen, there will now be a short interlude. To the bride and groom," He announced. Before the guests could finish repeating the toast, Sherlock turned to John. "Major Sholto's going to be murdered. I don't know how or by whom, but it's going to happen,"

" 'Scuse me, coming through!" Sherlock said as he led Alice through the guests. "Consulting," John and Mary followed soon after with Lestrade.

*