Chapter 77: The Carmichaels

Episode Transcript provided by Ariane DeVere/Callie Sullivan

***

"Mr Holmes, I have come here for advice and help," Lady Carmichael said. She sat in front of Holmes and Watson in the client's chair. "Something has happened, Mr. Holmes-someting... unusual and terrifying,"

"Then you are in luck,"

Lady Carmichael scoffed at Holme's statement. "Luck?"

Holmes gave her a smile. "Those are my specialisms. This is really very promising,"

"Holmes," Watson gave his friend a slight warning.

Holmes smile disappeared and turned back to Lady Carmichael. "Please tell us what has you so distressed,"

"I-I thought long and hard as to what to do, but then, it occurred to me that my husband was an acquaintance of your brother and that, perhaps through him..." she trailed off and took a minute to collect herself. "That fact is, I'm not sure this comes within your purview, Mr. Holmes,"

"No?"

"Lord help me, I think it may be a matter for a priest,"

"It started last Monday morning. We- Eustace and myself along with our children- were all at the table for breakfast. We were having our usual conversations when one of our footmen arrived with the mail for him. All seemed fine, but when he opened the first envelope his face grew pale and his face full of horror. As soon as the children left the table, I took a look at the envelope's contents myself. All that was inside was five orange pips. He said that it meant 'death'. He then adjusted his posture and said that it was nothing,"

"Did you keep the envelope?"

"My husband destroyed it- but it was blank with no name or address of any kind,"

"Tell me," Holmes began, leaning slightly more forward in his seat. "Has Sir Eustace spent time in America?

"No," Lady Carmichael answered, confused by the question.

"Not even before your marriage?"

"Well, not to my knowledge,"

Holmes late out a murmur in thought. "Pray continue with your... fascinating narrative,"

"It was two days later that my husband first saw her,"

It was the end of that statement that made Watson look up from his notes. "Who?

"On Wednesday night I woke in the middle of the night to an empty bed. Eustace was in our room staring out into the grounds of our home. I approached him, as any loving wife would do, and when I came up to him, he turned around. His face was full of terror. He kept saying that she was coming for him and that his sins were found out. Eustace clung to me for dear life and told me to look out into our gardens. I followed his instructions and saw nothing in the fog. He then insisted we go into the hedge maze. He's kept so many secrets from me and I want him to share why he is frightened so much. He kept insisting that it was the bride,"

"And you saw nothing?" Holmes asked.

"Nothing," Lady Carmichael confirmed.

"Did your husband describe?"

"Nothing-until early this morning. I again found Eustace in the hedge maze. I, of course, chased after him, but I lost him after a few turns. But when I did find him, I heard her, Mr Holmes, I heard her singing. She was dressed similarly and have a veil over her face. She said he will die, tonight,"