Chapter 79: MISS ME?

Episode Transcript provided by Ariane DeVere/Callie Sullivan

***

"You really mustn't blame yourself, you know," Lestrade said to Holmes. The three were at the top of the stairs, watching as a photographer take photos of Sir Eustace's dead body.

"No, you're quite right," Homes muttered, angrier at the fact that they didn't uncover the bride.

"I'm glad you're seeing sense," Watson muttered under his breath

"Watson is equally culpable," Homes added. "Between us, we've managed to botch this whole case. I gave an undertaking to protect that man; now he's lying there with a dagger in his breast,"

Watson walked towards the body and squatted down next to it. "In fact, you gave an undertaking to investigate his murder,"

"In the confident expectation I would not have to," Holmes responded angrily.

"Anything you can tell us, Doctor?" Lestrade asked, ready to take in any information that either man could give him.

"Well, he's been stabbed with considerable force," Watson observed.

"It's a man, then,"

"Possibly,"

Lestrade thought for a moment as he looked at the weapon. "A very keen blade, so it could conceivably be a woman,"

Watson stood back up. "In theory, yes, but we all know who it was. I saw her,"

"Watson," Holmes warned.

"I saw the ghost with my own eyes!" Watson yelled, furious at the lack of belief in his tale.

"You saw nothing! You saw what you are supposed to see!" Holmes countered. "Use your brain. To eliminate the impossible- which in this case is the ghost- and observe what remains- which in this case is a solution so blindingly obvious, even Lesreade could work it out!"

"Thank you," Lestrade muttered.

"Forget spectres from the otherworld. There is only one suspect with notice and opportunity. They might as well have left a note," Holmes continued.

"They did leave a note," Lestrade commented.

"And then there is the matter of the other broken window,"

"What other broken window?"

"Precisely. There isn't one. The only broken window in this establishment is the one Watson and I entered through, yet prior to that, we distinctly heard the sound of-" Holmes paused and turned to Lestrade. "What did you just say?"

Lestrade blinked in confusion. "Sorry?"

"About a note. What did you just say?"

"I said the murderer did leave a note,"

Holmes frowned. "No, they didn't,"

"There's a message tied to the dagger. You must've seen It!"

"There's no message! There was no message when I found the body!"

Holmes looked down at the body. Lopped around the hilt of the dagger was a piece of string with a label attached. Squatting down, Holmes picked up the label and turned it over, his eyes widening as he read the message.

MISS ME?

"Holmes?" Watson asked, noticing the change of mood in the room.

Holmes refused to acknowledge his friend and headed down the stairs. Watson walked over to the body and read the label. He immediately frowned and began to think what the letter meant.