Chapter 38: The Stanger's Room

Episode Transcript provided by Ariane DeVere/Callie Sullivan

***

John handed Alice a copy of 'The Guardian' as they sat in the window of a small cafe. "So, Moriarty's gone,"

Alice took a look at the headline mentioning Moriarty's disappearance. "No, he's just planning the next chapter in his twisted story,"

*

Alice and John sat in the 'Stranger's Room' at the Diogenes Club. John had made a huge scene earlier by talking in the main room. "Traditions, John. Our traditions define us," Mycroft said as he poured himself a drink from the decanter.

"So total silence is traditional? You can't even ask for someone to pass the sugar bowl," John commented

"Well, when you have a good chunk of the world's government sharing a tea cart, silence is the path of least resistance," Alice explained. "Also, it minimises the chance of World War III by a long shot,"

"Precisely," Mycroft smiled.

"It's been two months since Moriarty's disappearance, why have you called for us now?"

Mycroft handed Alice a copy of 'The Sun'. "This,"

"You actually read this bullshit?"

"It caught my eye. They're publishing a big exposé on Saturday,"

Sherlock: The Shocking Truth

Close Friend Richard Brook Tells All

An Exclusive by Kitty Riley

"Super-sleuth Sherlock Holmes has today been exposed as a fraud," Alice scoffed as she read the paper. She quickly removed her notebook from her bag and write down Kitty's name as well as Brook's on an empty page.

"I'd love to know where Miss. Riley got her information," John commented.

"Someone called Brook. Recognize the name?"

"School friend, maybe?"

"Of Sherlock's" Mycroft laughed, "Alice?"

"Not really, but it is intriguing," Alice said, looking up from her notebook. "Why else did you ask us to come?"

"Here," Mycroft picked up several folders and handed one to John. He opened up the file and looked at the photograph on the top page.

"Who's this?" John asked.

"Don't know him?"

"He moved in a while ago, two doors down if I recall," Alice said as she took a look at the photograph.

"Sulejmani. Albanian hit squad. Expertly-trained killer living less than twenty feet from your door," Mycroft handed them another file. "Dyachenko, Ludmila,"

"Oh, I think I have seen her," John said as he looked at her photo.

"Of course you have," Alice joked before looking at the photo again. "She moved in opposite us. Judging by the name and the fact that she is among your files, she's a Russian sharpshooter,"

"Four international assassins have relocated within spitting distance of your flats. Anything you care to tell me?" Mycroft questioned.

"I should move with Alice to the States?" John joked, earning an unamused look from Mycroft.

"So that's what he meant," Alice mumbled to herself as she flipped through her notebook.

"What was that?" Mycroft asked, turning his attention to the American.

"In the security footage at the Tower, Moriarty wrote 'Get Sherlock' on the glass," Alice said, looking up at the two boys, "I was confused at first but now it's clear. It was a message to his clients. The first one to kill Sherlock wins. Though, our assassins won't be winning anything. Moriarty has this obsession with Sherlock, I doubt that he would let anyone get the final victory. They're probably there to watch us. Sherlock has his homeless network and Moriarty has his assassins,"

"Interesting theory," Mycroft noted.

"Why don't you tell Sherlock about them if you're so concerned about him?" John asked.

Alice rolled her eyes as Mycroft fiddled with his glass. "Are you serious? Mycroft, you two are grown men!"

"Too much history between us. Old scores; resentments," Mycroft admitted.

"What did you do? Break his 'My First Chemistry Set'?"

John laughed and headed for the door.

"We all know what's coming," Mycroft said, causing John to turn back towards him. "Moriarty is obsessed. He's sworn to destroy Sherlock,"

"So you want us to watch out for your brother because he won't directly accept your help?" John asked.

"If it's not too much trouble," Mycroft smiled at John but it faded quickly and turned into a more threatening face.

"Go on without me, John. Mycroft and I have some other things to discuss," Alice said warmly to the doctor.

"Uh, okay,"

Alice waited for John to leave the room before getting down to business. "I am conducting my own investigation on how Moriarty got into the Tower, prison, and bank. Sherlock said he mentioned a code so I am running a few tests on my computer to find it. However, I have another hunch and I need your help. Of course, I'll let you know of my findings,"

"What do you need?"

"The security footage from each's security rooms,"

"That can be arranged,"

"Thank you. Now, this Richard Brook, it's Moriarty. It's an obvious clue,"

"What are you saying?"

"Sherlock said that Moriarty considers himself a villain in a fairytale. Namely whatever story is between the two of them. I knew that name sounded interesting," Alice said as she began to pace in front of Mycroft. "Do you speak German?"

"I'm fluent in the language, yes,"

"Then you should have noticed: Rich Brook roughly translates to Reicher Bach. The Reichenbach Falls painting was the case that made Sherlock famous. The timeline works out, Moriarty vanished about two months ago, right after the trial. That would leave him plenty of time to create an alias and backstory,"

Suddenly Alice's phone began to ring. Alice looked at the caller ID and immediately answered the call.

"Sherlock, is everything alright?"

"There's been a kidnapping," Sherlock said on the other line.

"Oh dear God! Do you need me to come and help?"

"No, not yet. Are you still with Mycroft?"

Alice turned towards Mycroft, "Yeah, we were discussing Moriarty,"

"Stay with him,"

"What? Why?"

"This kidnapping has to do with Moriarty, I am sure of it. If he is willing to kidnap the ambassador to the U.S's two kids to get my attention, then he won't hesitate to kidnap you too,"

"There are kids involved?!"

"Yes, I'll talk to you when we get more information,"

"Okay, stay safe," Alice let out a deep breath and ended the call.

"Everything all right?"

"Rufus Bruhl's children were kidnapped last night. Sherlock thinks it was Moriarty,"