Chapter 50: Holidays at 221

"Why do we have to do this?" Sherlock asked his girlfriend as they posed for a picture together on the sofa.

"Because it looks nice," Mary responded as she handed Alice back her phone.

"Just be happy I didn't make you put on the antlers this year," Alice muttered as she looked at the photos.

It was Christmastime once again at Baker Street and presents sat under the small tree in the corner by Sherlock's violin. Alice had already strung lights around the flat that she and Sherlock now shared; The pair were once again hosting another little party for the holiday. It was smaller than the last party three years ago, with was just John, Mary, and Mrs. Hudson in attendance. Alice had also invited Mycroft but he declined her offer.

Alice stood up from the couch and clapped her hands. "Right, I think it is the right time for presents," She handed Mrs. Hudson a perfectly wrapped gift. "This one is from the boys,"

Mrs. Hudson thanked Sherlock and John before opening the box. Inside was a new laptop. "You'll have to show me how to use it,"
Alice gifted her a set of teacups and saucers that paired well with her current sets.

"John, these ones are for you and Mary," Alice said as she handed them each a box. "It's from Sherlock and me,"

"You didn't have to get us anything," John replied while Mary smiled at the unwrapped handmade hats.

"Did you make these?" Mary asked as she tried a hat on.

"I learned how to knit and crochet as a kid when my bother wanted to dress up his turtle,"

"You just keep surprising us, don't you?" John joked.

"I try," She replied with an amused smile.

"Alright, Sherlock," Mary said as she handed Sherlock the gifts she and John had picked out for him.

Sherlock opened the box, finding a small container of gold rosin for his violin bow and a book on astronomy. John laughed a bit when Sherlock frowned at the astronomy book.

"Thank you," Sherlock said to the couple. Alice had gifted him a 'Science Only' microwave for their kitchen earlier that morning, though that was more a gift to herself.

Mrs. Hudson gave Alice a new cookbook full of her favourite traditional British recipes while John and Mary gave her a new leather notebook for upcoming cases.

Sherlock paced in front of Alice nervously once it was his turn to give her his present. "Alice, I know that these past two years were hard for you, but I want you to know that I will never leave you like that ever again. It took me too long to realize how much I cared for you. Love is something that I never imagined possible and I am positive most people who have met me would say the same,"

"I can attest to that," John mumbled, thinking about Donovan, nearly everyone at Scotland Yard, and even himself at one point in time.

"But then you walked into my life and every day I fall in love with you more and more. You make me vulnerable, something I never thought I would be okay with and I can't think of anywhere more perfect than right in front of the most important people in our lives," Everyone gasped when they saw him get down on one knee. Sherlock reached into his suit pocket and opened a small velvet box, revealing a simple-yet-elegant- diamond engagement ring. "Alice Whitmer, will you marry me?"

Tears began to fall out of Alice's eyes as she nodded. "Yes. Yes," she cried in joy as Sherlock placed the ring on her finger. He proceeded to pick her up and swing her around in a circle. The two kissed as he placed her back on the ground.

"Oh, Alice!" Mrs. Hudson exclaimed with glee as she and Mary examined the ring. "It's beautiful,"

"Congratulations mate," John said as he patted Sherlock on the back. "Lestrade will be surprised,"

"Imagine Donovan's face,"

*

The next day, Alice was summoned by Mycroft at his mansion. Like always, she brought a plateful of baked goods.

"Alice, I would like to apologise for not able to attend your party last night," Mycroft said as he poured her a cup of tea.

"Don't worry about it, Mycroft. I wasn't expecting you to accept the invitation. I know that you don't like social functions," Alice gave him a sincere smile.

"I wanted to give you this," Mycroft handed her a present. "Happy Christmas,"

"You didn't have to get me anything," Alice gently unwrapped the gift, revealing first edition copies of 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' and 'Frankenstein'. She smiled and made eye contact with him. "Thank you, Mycroft. Seriously, thank you,"

"I believe congratulations are also in order. I can't imagine the conversation he had with our mother in order to procure the family ring," Mycroft said, looking down at the ring on her finger, "Sherlock is very lucky to have you in his life,"

Alice delicately rewrapped the books in order for them to not get damaged. "He is lucky to have you as well. Even though he doesn't always believe it, you are a good brother to him,"

"Now, to the matter at hand," Mycroft folded his hands. "Since you are back in the country, I am in need of your talents,"

"You, or the British Government?"

Mycroft ignored her question. "I don't want my brother to be involved with this," he handed her a manila folder, "This is Charles Augustus Magnussen,"

Alice frowned as she opened the file to the photo of Magnussen. "Owner of the CAM Network, media mogul, and billionaire. He's not as big in the U.S. as he is here in the UK," she paused and thought about where she had last heard his name, "Wasn't he summoned before the Parliamentary Committee a month ago?"

"Yes,"

"Why was he called in?"

Mycroft sighed. "We believe Magnussen might be trying to blackmail some of our MPs,"

"Why don't you want to involve Sherlock? I would assume that he is being viewed as trustworthy after foiling Lord Moran's plot last month"

Mycroft paused for a moment, unsure of how to relay the next bit of information, "On a personal level, I believe he is aware of your prior jobs. Specifically, your most recent work,"

She could tell by his tone of voice that he was nervous about Magnussen and the information he held. Mycroft rarely showed his cards, but for some reason, he was willing to be vulnerable around Alice.

Alice looked straight into Mycroft's eyes, she knew what he was saying. "He can't know, I've been careful. I thought I was careful enough. I've done my best to stay out of the photos, only helped Sherlock and John when they needed me, and I trust that you've kept my work with you under a need-to-know basis,"

"Only the higher members of the US and British Government could know and even then, they would require special permission. But I must ask, both as a government official and as a future brother, does Sherlock know about you?"

She looked down in shame. "I never really had the chance. To be honest, I never wanted to tell him. I wanted a fresh start in life, I guess I don't deserve one- not after everything that happened," She fought back a tear before looking up a Mycroft with determination in her eyes. "I will do whatever it takes to get rid of Magnussen. If you want me to break off the engagement, I will. I can't let Sherlock go down with me. John can lose me, but he can't lose Sherlock. You and I both know that,"

Alice sat in the black car on her way back to 221b, thinking about her meeting with Mycroft. She didn't have the heart to tell him that she had a feeling that he too, would break in the event of losing Sherlock. John had Mary to help him cope with whatever the future threw at him. Mycroft had no one.