the truth

Lucy POV

"That should be okay," I said as I smiled at Gray.

Gray monotonously nod his head and stood up.

I sighed heavily and began packing the first aid kit. I can't blame him if he was angry at me. I did leave them for 6 months. I can only imagine how Natsu felt.

"Gray wait!" I said, grabbing his attention before he left.

"What?" He asked in an irritated tone, glancing back with his hand on the doorknob.

I looked at the tiled floor, "Is he mad at me for leaving?" I murmured.

Gray sighed heavily, "What do you think?" He mumbled back.

I took a deep breath and nodded at the anticipated answer.

"Look Gray—" I stood up as well, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize it's been 6 months, it's only been hours for me and Juvia. I didn't intend to hurt him—"

"Well you didn't intend to sacrifice your life to undo this havoc but you will anyways right?" Gray grunted.

My eyes widened, "You know about The Whitening...?" I asked.

Gray nodded. He reached into his coat, yes he was wearing clothes due to the sub-zero temperature and frosty environment. I felt my heart drop when he took out my mother's notebook.

"The spell was written here, we researched it. This spell doesn't require your magic only. It wants your life," Gray held the book in front of me, "Do you think we're bovine—maybe Natsu but when it comes to you, he actually takes things seriously."

With trembling arms, I gently took the book back, "I would never think that about you guys...but even my mother couldn't grasp the concept of The Whitening. Initially, I thought my magic was sufficient," I reasoned.

Gray chuckled, "Lucy, do you think your mother is honest to you?"

"What's that suppose to mean?" I raised an eyebrow.

"She wrote that journal for a reason. She knew you were going to be the next horsemen so she wrote that to guide you. She wrote a false consequence to encourage you to cast the spell," Gray stuffed his hands in his pockets and faced me, "She knows if the consequences were lighter, you will cast it."

My throat became hoarse. It can't be. My mom is a saint.

"That's not true..." I whispered as I flip the pages.

"...this spell requires all my magical power. I'll be powerless—might as well be dead!"

My breathing got heavier as I read every word. This can't be true. My palms became clammy as I reminisce about my mother's smiling innocent face.

Did mom lie about not knowing the consequences of The Whitening to make me do it?

"No...My mom is an Angel," I cried softly.

Gray shrugged, "I know you'll pull through the plan anyways. You'd do anything to reverse this mess. Natsu doesn't know about it...yet. I think you are the appropriate person to tell him."

With that, Gray left. I immediately fell to the ground.

"Mom...why would you lie to me?" I sobbed as I hugged the book close to my chest.