- twenty nine -

xxix. CHARITY BURBAGE 

The drawing room was full of silent people, sitting at a long andornate table

The drawing room was full of silent people, sitting at a long andornate table. The room's usual furniture had been pushed carelessly up against up against the walls.

Illumination came from a roaring fire beneath a handsome marble mantel piece surmounted by a glided mirror. Snape lingered for a moment on the threshold.

An apparently, unconscious human figure was hanging upside down over the table, revolving slowly as if suspended by an invisible rope.

Stella looked at the human figure above and gulped in fear. She wished Draco was seated next to him.

"Severus." Said Voldemort in a high, clear voice from the head of the table causing Stella's hair stand on her neck,"I was beginning to worry that you had lost your way. Come we've saved you a seat."

Snape's boots clicked on the hard floor, echoing in the silent room.

"Do you bring news I trust?" Voldemort spoke up while Snape took a seat.

"It will happen Saturday next." Snape answered,"At nightfall."

"I've heard differently my lord." Contradicted Yaxley,"Dawlish the auror has let slip that the Potter boy will not be moved until the 30th of this month, the day before he turns seventeen."

"This is a false trail." Snape interrupted,"Tha auror office plays no part in the protection of Harry Potter. The order believes that we have infiltrated the ministry."

"The Order's got one thing right, then, eh?" said a squat man sitting a short distance from Yaxley; he gave a wheezy giggle that was echoed here and there along the table.

Neither Stella laughed nor did Voldemort. Stella was too worried about Harry while Voldemort looked up at the revolving figure hanging in the air.

"What say you Pius?"

"One hears many things my lord." Pius said after a long pause,"the truth among them is not clear."

"Spoken like a true politician." Complimented Voldemort,"You will I think prove most useful Pius."

"Where will be the boy taken to?" Voldemort asked, turning to Snape.

"Most likely to a safe house, the home of someone in the order until its been given every manner of protection possible, it will be impractical to attack him." Snape explained.

"My Lord." Bellatrix spoke up,"I'd like to volunteer myself for this task. I want to kill the bo-"

The body hanging in the air whimpered in pain.

"Wormtail!" Voldemort yelled causing Stella to break away from her thoughts,"have I not spoken to you about keeping our prisoner quiet?"

"Yes, m-my Lord," gasped a small man halfway down the table. He scrambled from his seat and scurried from the room.