- forty -

xl. THE SNATCHERS

A turquoise-blue stream wound its merry way through the forest

A turquoise-blue stream wound its merry way through the forest. The mountains stood silently in the background, a brooding presence of sky punching majesty. Brooches of snow covered their lofty peaks, encircling them in wreaths of angel-white.

Stella sat near the river, watching it hopping over the rocks happily. Chords of sunlight light speared down from above, bathing its surface in gold. It was glinting with little sparkles.

A tired huff left her dry lips as she bent down her head to drink the water. It was very stimulating.

Millions of thoughts were running around Stella's head and she was sure of her head bursting with the pressure.

She didn't have a single clue about why she agreed to leave the golden trio. But she knew one thing that if she stayed she would have made things worse.

She just left them and having nowhere to go, she took a shelter near the river which was not very far away from the trio. The whole night Stella had spent it near the river without getting any sleep.

A sharp pain aroused in the girl's head as she clutched on the rock near by for support.

"My child!" Boomed Voldemort's voice inside Stella's mind,"You don't want your friends to die for you. Do you? Because I'm sure that Miss Greengrass would happily give up her life for you. Or maybe Draco would."

Images of Stella and Daphne from their meeting in the Malfoy manor flashed in front of Stella's eyes.

"If you want her dead, feel free to run away." Voldemort laughed,"But my child, just remember that if you want to save her, I'm waiting for you. I'm willing to give you a second chance to prove yourself. Serve me for I am your father."

Gasping for air, Stella fell on the floor clasping her head. As soon as Voldemort's voice disappeared from her head, the pain too died down.

Stella's heart beat quickened its pace as Stella sobbed, finding herself stuck in a do or die situation.

Friends are who always stood besides her, in all her ups and downs. She can't let them die for herself. They were precious for her.

She knew she'll have to return back. Just then it struck Stella that she totally forgot about Luna. She didn't even inform Harry about it. At that very moment, Stella wanted to kill herself ; for being so stupid.

Sound of footsteps pulled her out of her thoughts as she whipped her head around to find a group of snatchers rushing towards the trio's tent.

Stella's eyes widened in horror as she rose up from her spot and without wasting any time, she ran in their direction.

She knew that if she comes in front of them, they'll either kill her or take her back to Voldemort but she'll have to stop them from getting Harry.

"Wait!" Stella shouted, hoping that they could hear her from a distance and they did when Scabior, the snatcher stopped in his tracks.

"Ah mistress." Scabior smiled happily, doing a little bow,"Heard that you ran away?"

"I... I didn't run away." Stella lied, clutching her wand tightly in her hands in case anyone of his goons attacked her.

"Shall I know what you're doing here this fine day?" Scabior faked a smile.

"Same as you." Stella made up,"I am searching for him."

"But according to the dark lord, you ran away." Scabior frowned.

"Because he wasn't letting me prove myself!" Stella kept on lying,"I wanted to show the dark lord about my abilities, my powers and what I'm capable of."

Scabior just smirked and gestured his goons to follow him, despite Stella's protests to stop them.

"He isn't here!" Stella shouted, walking behind them.

"He is." Scabior laughed,"He just said the dark lord's name and because of the taboo we know he's somewhere here."

Sighing, Stella followed them and just hoped that they won't find Harry and others. But alas! Stella spotted Ron from a distance who was walking towards the snatchers, unaware of the danger lurking around him.

The trio were soon beset by the snatchers, blocking their path. Harry's eyes widened in shock upon seeing Stella who was looking down at her feet.

"Hello beautiful." Scabior said causing Hermione to stumble back.

"Hold on." Scabior sneered as the trio started to run away,"Snatch him."

Stella quickly followed the snatchers, quickening her pace as she performed a non verbal spell on one of the snatcher who tripped and fell down.

Smiling to herself, Stella ran faster when she saw Scabior shooting a spell at Hermione. Disarming him, Stella ducked under one of the bushes so that he doesn't know as that it was her.

Scabior picked up his wand and continued his run. Once he was out of the sight, Stella came out of the bush and ran all the way towards the snatchers.

She found Ron on the ground, his legs bounded together. It was the leg locker curse. Stella knelt down besides him as he was whimpering in pain.

"Ron!" Stella whispered,"Stay still!"

"No, stay away." Ron screamed, moving away from the girl. Stella was about to free him when he was grabbed by one of the snatchers who smirked at Stella. Frowning, Stella followed Ron being dragged away by the snatcher.

"You know who's got the elder wand!" Stella heard Harry saying something to Hermione.

"Don't touch her." Ron warned as he was thrown away to some other snatcher while Harry and Hermione were seized. Stella not knowing what to do just stood there and watch the scene unfolding in front of her.

"Get off me!" Hermione screamed, trying to remove their filthy hands from her. Stella clenched her jaw and stepped in front of Scabior.

"What's wrong with you?" Stella frowned, crossing her arms over her chest,"What are you even doing?"

"Now is not the time mistress." Scabior ignored Stella and strolled to Harry whose face was swollen by the stinging spell.

Stella looked over at Hermione who just gave her a look which clearly said help us. But Stella knew she couldn't help the trio in front of everyone

"What's your name?" Scabior inquired.

"Dudley, Vernon Dudley." Harry answered as the snatcher let go of Harry's arms.

"Check it." Ordered Scabior and moved on to Hermione,"And you lovely, what do they call you?"

"Penelope Clearwater." Hermione answered,"Half blood."

Smirking, Scabior moved his hands to Hermione's cheeks, slithering over her delicate skin.

"STOP!" Stella screamed, stomping over to Scabior"They are not who we are looking for!"

"How can you be so sure mis-"

"There's no Vernon Dudley over here." The snatcher who was checking Harry's pockets cut off Scabior in between.

"Hear that ugly?" Scabior said, turning to look at Harry,"How come you don't want us to know who you are?"

"It's wrong. I told you who I am." Harry protested.

Scabior walked closer to Harry, holding him by the hair on his back and looked closely at Harry's face.
Stella couldn feel the tension rising in the air and she feared that Scabior recognised Harry.

"Change your flight." Scabior said after a while,"We're not taking this lot to the ministry."