Implementing phase one

[Header image of Nehemia Yger]

Once lunchtime came around, Celaena walked eagerly towards the school's cafeteria, her stomach rumbling loudly. She was still not used to the new schedule and having to get up so early, she hadn't managed to grab anything for breakfast before riding to school. She had had enough time to carefully sort out her uniform for the day though, adding her own little twist with a red bandana tied around her right wrist. She had also taken twenty minutes in front of the mirror putting on her contacts and making sure her makeup was spotless.

She had accentuated her cheekbones, making her face look a bit rounder than what it was, had thinned her nose, and added a few fake freckles across it. She had decided on black eyeliner and simple grey eyeshadow, with a little bit of gold in the inner corners of her eyes. That day's lipstick choice was bright red, as it matched her rider's vibe.

Celaena got in the queue at the buffet, eyeing everything in front of her and having a hard time choosing only one item from the vast range of options. In the end, she settled for the fried chicken, a portion of fries, and two servings of pudding.

Finding an empty table close enough to her main interests but a little secluded at the same time was a challenge; but once she found the spot, she sat down with her tray.

She watched as the cafeteria filled up, and spotted Sam on a crowded table only a few meters away. They were one to each side of Aedion's table, and she knew this was no coincidence; Sam was playing his cards too. Annoyed, Celaena glared at him, but Sam's eyes were too focused on the couple making a scene in between them, and he didn't see her.

"Hi, there!" Someone said, popping a tray of food next to her own, and grabbing a seat.

Celaena turned towards the intruder, surprised to find a dark-skinned girl with long raven dreadlocks falling to her waist and curious eyes that were looking at her.

"Hi," She said dubiously.

She had enjoyed the peace and quiet of eating on her own the previous day, but she knew it wasn't going to last. Celaena would have to find her place in the status quo soon, or else she'd end up as an outcast, and that wouldn't be good for her plans.

"Nice to meet you," the girl sitting next to her said. "I'm Nehemia, I'm the only other exchange student in this stuck-up school, so I thought we might as well kick start this inevitable friendship of ours," she finished with a tight smile.

Celaena looked at her a little perplexed, and a little stunned. Nehemia looked somehow shy yet she also had a kind of hidden sass that Celaena found appealing. But she had to remind herself that she wasn't there to make friends, she had no time for it.

"If you say so," she replied, nonchalant.

"I've been here for a whole year, and I can tell you, this is a hard crowd to please." Nehemia looked her up and down as if analyzing her. "I would have expected you to be sitting on the table with the jocks already," she added pointing at them with her head. "A few of them are taken, as the team captain over there. His name is Aedion," she explained, talking eagerly as Celaena listened carefully while pretending to be more interested in her food. "His father owns one of the biggest businesses in town, and they have investments all over the place, he is loaded! Even more than most of us. It's a bit of a sad story if you ask me, his mother died when he was young, and it's just him and his father; I believe he lost his aunt and other family members to a tragic accident too. You wouldn't be able to tell from looking at him though, he's always so full of himself... And he's got that damned gorgeous smile!"

Nahemia sighed and stopped talking for a moment as she ate a few spoonfuls of her lunch. Next to her, Celaena looked at Aedion through her lashes as she picked on the fries.