Sinking

[Header image is my beloved Sam Cortland!]

Note: Hello there my lovely readers!! Just a little heads up that I will be on holiday for the next few weeks, which means the uploading schedule might not be as steady as it's been! I might write less, because... Holidays! I might forget to update because no one knows which day it is during holidays... or knowing myself, I might get excited, write all day long, and post perfectly on time! Haha. But just in case, though I'd give you all a heads up n_n

"That was not the deal!" Dorian crossed his arms over his chest, clearly annoyed.

"Well, I said I was going to the party with you, I never said anything about how long I was going to be there for."

"You'll miss out on the best part! After the boring but delicious dinner and speeches, that's when the dancing and drinking starts. If you leave early, who am I to dance with?"

"Well, that is not my problem, is it? I will go to dinner this Saturday as promised, but after that, I will be gone."

"And you won't even tell me why or where you're going."

"Exactly. Now please, it's Friday night, I have things to do and places to be, so if you may." Celaena gestured with her hands for Dorian to move along, but he shook his head.

"You can't just-" She slammed the door shut on his face, and walked towards her room as she heard Dorian cursing out loud in the hall.

Celaena slumped on the bed and covered her face with a pillow. She had 24 hours left until the next fight, and she knew she should head to the mansion for some training, but she couldn't get herself to do it. After tossing and turning in bed for a while, she decided to go out. She put on a pair of jeans, her black leather jacket and headed out on her motorbike.

She drove around town for a while, not knowing where she was going, trying not to think about anything, but thinking too much about everything instead. When she turned towards the outskirts, she finally realized what she needed, where she was headed.

It had been long since the last time she had visited.

Celaena parked her bike in an alley and walked a few meters towards the water. She sat down by the shore, the water getting so close that it was almost touching the tips of her boots. It was the spot where she had washed ashore; where Arobynn had found her. She couldn't remember much about the moment, but she had made Arobynn take her there a few years after she was found, and had come back several times ever since.

There was no other way for her to be close to her parents. Their remains had been returned to Terrasen, and she hadn't been back there; ever. And sometimes, she even wondered if she'd ever go back.

"Hey, mum," she said quietly into the night. "Hi, dad. I'm sorry it's been a while, life hasn't been particularly easy." She knew they couldn't hear her, but she had spoken to them so many times as a child, it was almost like thinking out loud. "I promised you I'd find who did this to you, and I assure you I'm working on it... I'm going to avenge you. I just... I just don't know if I know how to do this. I have a plan, I do. But I feel like I keep running into dead ends, and the lies keep piling up... I'm afraid I don't know who I am anymore."

She sat in silence for minutes, contemplating the water, listening to the soothing sound of the waves crashing, and watching as the stars started shining brighter in the sky and reflecting on the surface. She had lost the only friend she had ever had, she wasn't speaking with Sam, and she was fake dating a guy she didn't even trust.

"How am I supposed to run the business after all this is over if I don't even know who I am?"

Celaena grabbed a rock from the shore and threw it into the water.