Ditching Halloween

[Image of Asterin Blackbeack at the top]

Almost as if floating in a cloud, Celaena let herself be guided back to the dance floor. Her mind was reeling about all these coincidences because, in all honesty, she didn't believe in coincidence. She knew she should approach Manon, so while dancing mindlessly, she made sure to get closer and closer to the front, waiting for the second the band would get off stage so she'd be able to coax the triplets for more information.

Her plan failed when out of the corner of her eye, she spotted the black dreads again, a glint of gold catching her eye. Celaena turned to the side and found Nehemia dancing close by, her arms resting on Nox's shoulders. Drawing her hands back and sliding them through Nox's arms, Nehemia held his hands as she swayed, and then Nox made her twirl under his arm. Their eyes locked for a second as she spun, and Celeana knew she had her attention.

Excusing herself, Nehemia rushed out of the dancefloor, not before looking back at her, as if wanting her to follow. Confused, but curious, Celaena told Dorian she needed to head to the toilet for a moment. She chased after Nehemia, who, coincidentally, ended up heading to the bathroom.

"Hey," she said as she walked in, not sure how to approach the matter.

It had been over two weeks since they'd last spoken, and even if she had been busy, Celaena missed Nehemia. Having her there during lunch, fighting over slices of pizza, and walking together through the hallways, just being themselves. But hadn't that been the problem? Celaena couldn't be herself.

"Hey," Nehemia stopped touching up her make-up in the mirror and turned around to fully face her. "It's been a while," her tone was almost casual, and Celaena dared wonder if it was the day she'd be forgiven.

"It's been too long," Celaena admitted.

The world seemed to slow down around them as they stared at each other, not even blinking. There were so many things to be said between them, but Celaena wasn't sure she could say any of them. Maybe... Maybe just one thing.

"I..." She bit her lip, all her secrets weighing on her shoulders. "You were right, I've been lying to you," she admitted.

"And you're ready to be truthful?" Nehemia asked, her arms crossed over her chest now.

"I'm ready to admit that there's a lot of things I can not tell you," she let the truth out, and it felt good. "I wish I could, but I simply can't."

Nehemia seemed to ponder her words, to taste them, turn them around in her mouth as she savored them, her lips turning one way and then the other while her fingers drummed over the sink in front of her.

Finally, her lips parted.

"And why would that be? What would happen if you told me the truth?"

Celeana inhaled deeply, the scent of jasmine and lemon fresh in the air, mixing up with the smell of toilet cleaner.

"In the best of cases, you'd hate me for lying. In the worst, you'd end up hurt. Knowing me, the real me, is dangerous."

"Because you're involved in a dangerous business."

It wasn't a question, but a statement, and Celaena wondered once more how much she could say, how much she should say. Getting to know Nehemia, learning how to be around a girl her own age, almost getting to call someone a friend, it had been too good to be true. Maybe she didn't deserve that, maybe she wasn't meant to have pretty things, good things. But she wanted to, she wished she could.

"Because I'm involved with dangerous people," she finally admitted. "And I don't want you anywhere near them." Fixing the shawl over her shoulders, Celaena lifted her chin.