Returning to the living

[Header image of Celaena with contacts]

She was so used to getting up at twilight and staying up all night, that being in the principal's office at the early hour of seven thirty in the morning felt almost like torture. And Celaena Sardothien surely knew her fair share about torture.

"Good morning, Miss Sardothien, please come in," the principal called as he signaled her in from the door of his office.

Begrudgingly, she followed him in as she stifled a yawn. She sat down in front of the old man, arranging her skirt and tucking in the front of the uniform's white blouse.

"It is a pleasure to have you in our school," the principal started. "I hope you settle quickly into the spirits of Adarlan Elite High, and to make sure of it, I have arranged for the president of the student council to give you a tour of the grounds. He was kind enough to come in early for this." His voice was monotonous, like he was bored of speaking with teens all day, but he sounded stern at the same time, as if 'settling into the spirit' actually meant 'sticking to the rules'.

He had no idea that wasn't going to be the case, Celaena had already broken more rules than most students, and she had yet to start her first day.

She heard the steps in the hallway before the door opened, and she turned around with her best smile at the same time as principal Allsbrook spoke again.

"Chaol Westfall, this is our new exchange student, Celaena Sardothien. Miss. Sardothien, this is Mr. Westfall, the president of the student council."

If it wasn't for all her training, her jaw would have fallen open; she knew him. The guy standing by the door wore his uniform immaculate and perfectly ironed, there was even that straight little line at the front of his dress pants. His white shirt was tidy and tucked in, his tie pulled almost all the way up; his chestnut hair was cut short on the sides and a little longer in the middle, styled with gel; and his copper-brown eyes were piercing into her, his eyebrows slightly lowered.

She was pretty sure he had recognized her.

"Morning, Celaena," he said, smiling politely.

"Good morning to you, Chaol, it's a pleasure to meet you," she said in an effort to be polite back, if only to keep the charade of a good girl in front of the old man sitting at the desk.

She hoped for the slight chance that he wouldn't remember meeting her a few weeks back, or that he didn't recognize her with the small change of appearance.

"Okay, off you go into the tour, I have plenty of things to do, and another student to greet soon," the principal dismissed them with a wave of his hand.

Celaena followed Chaol out of the office, hoping that he wouldn't mention the day they ran into each other in the secretary's office. She hadn't thought there would be any students in the school's grounds during holidays; but of course the nerd of the class had been there and had almost found her hacking into the school's database. She had been fast, getting off the computer, jumping over the counter and seating in the waiting area just before Chaol had walked in the door.

She had claimed to be waiting for the secretary, that there were some papers she had to hand in; and she hoped that'd been enough to fool him.

"So, why does a senior student transfer schools?" Chaol asked her after showing her around for a while. "Wouldn't you want to graduate with all your friends?"

"I transferred because I had to move here, and the reason I moved is none of your concern," she quipped, not being able to repress the little hiss sound escaping her lips. There was something about the guy, he was already pissing her off.