Getting heated up

[Header image is Fenrys Moonbeam]

[[Warning: Violence, blood, and sexually abusive comments.]] 

The backroom filled up fast, and within half an hour, all the fighters were warming up, jumping over on the spot and throwing punches in the air. The noise outside was also picking up, and Celaena could feel the rambling energy in the air from all the customers getting louder and louder. She was jumping on the spot, almost dancing as one of her favorite songs was playing in her head. The adrenaline was pumping in her veins, and she could feel her lips trying to pull up into a smile, but she remained dead serious as she waited for the first fight to be called. She was keeping to herself on the farthest corner while she eavesdropped on the other fighter's conversations in case she found any useful information about her aunt or the running of the fights.

She hadn't seen Maeve since before the plane crash, but she still remembered her clearly. Her father's sister had had his same dark eyes, and his dark hair, but she had dyed it raven black so long ago that Celaena could barely remember if her natural hair really looked like her father's. Maeve had always treated her right and used to spend a lot of time around their house, coming over with presents for young Aelin or visiting for lunch on the weekends. According to the information she had gathered through the years, her aunt was still single and had never had kids, and still lived in Terrasen. She remembered how Maeve and Rhoe, Aelin's father, used to spend a lot of time in her father's office discussing work, and she used to peek through the window and try to hear what the adults were talking about.

"I'll feel bad for whoever needs to fight her," a slinky blond guy said only a few feet away, bringing Celaena back to the present.

"What do they think this is, allowing a girl here?" Another one growled.

Celaena balled her fists by her side and took a deep breath through her nose.

"And what's up with that stupid mask?" The first one added, a little louder this time.

"I could break her in two with my bare hands," the tallest guy smirked, looking straight at her.

Celaena took a step forward, and she could see the tall dark-haired security guard through the corner of her eye, talking into his radio as she did.

"Say that to my face if you're so fucking brave." She looked up at the guy who towered a head over her. He was huge, with bulky round shoulders and eyes as dark as the night.

"I could break you in two with my bare hands," he repeated as he took a menacing step and looked down at her. Celaena's upper lip lifted up as she ground her teeth and her balled fists started rising slowly.

"I would like to see that," she spat back.

"Enough of that you two. Everybody, fuck off and get ready to fight, we're starting in five," a new voice said as a guy walked into the room, a smug smile on his face. He gestured with his hands for them to break apart, but no one moved.

The tall guy kept his eyes on Celaena and leaned down. "Remember my face, sweetheart," he whispered in her ear before straightening back up.

"Cain, I said fuck off," the blond security guard pushed the tall guy with a hand against his chest. Cain huffed and turned around to leave. "You all good, girl?" The guard turned towards her, his dark eyes fixed on her.

"Fine," she hissed. "I didn't need your fucking help." She crossed her arms over her chest and uncrossed them again as she realized she must look like a childish teen throwing a tantrum.