Surprises

By the time Rowan got to the Fossa, that night's tournament was mostly over. He could have gone home, could have been lying on his couch drinking a cold beer and watching a game of whatever sport might have been on TV. But instead, Rowan decided to head to the fights. To see it with his own eyes, to make sure he didn't make a mistake... Not like he could have mistaken her.

"Didn't think you were rostered tonight," Lorcan said as Rowan stepped through the main door, not wanting to use the back alley.

"I'm not," he said matter-of-factly.

"Then why are you here?"

"That is none of your concern, kid," he almost spat the words, looking down at Lorcan and then walking away without a second look.

He didn't want to be rude, but he had an appearance to keep, and the kid had a lot of lessons to learn if he wanted to survive the Fossa. Lorcan was pushing his luck and stepping out of line, which was dangerous in their line of work. The place had no space for weakness, no room for doubt, and certainly no patience for curious people that got their noses where they shouldn't. That's how you could get yourself killed, or worse.

The gymnasium was loud, and it smelled of stale beer and sweat. The dampness of the room clung to his skin, and Rowan folded the cuffs of his black shirt up, his jacket already away in his motorbike's storage compartment. Reaching the edge of the room, he found a spot where he could watch the whole comings and goings of the place. It was not one of the spots where security was normally posted, but one he had found after endless nights working there.

Connal was stationed to one side of the made-up stage, minding the crowd, and Rowan could see Fenrys by the side, watching the fight closely. He didn't recognize either of the fighters, but that was no surprise, he never paid much attention to them unless they were regulars. The fight finished up a few minutes later, and Fenrys escorted the winner to the backroom. The whole place roared with claps and cheers, and he saw a few bills slipping from hand to hand.

Betting at the fights was allowed in any kind or form. Bigger bets were made with Maeve herself, as she was the one that organized the events, but she always said a little under-the-table betting helped to spice things up. Whoever had been working long enough for her knew the truth behind that statement. All of the bets were run by her. All of them. Nothing in the pits went unnoticed by Maeve, which was half the reason Rowan had gone to the Fossa that night.

There was no way Maeve didn't know.

But even if she knew, what did it all mean?

As Fenrys walked the next fighter over to the stage, Rowan walked by his side, mostly unnoticed between the crowd, and gave him one quick nod. Immediately after, he darted to the back, but instead of heading into the fighter's backroom, he went into the office next to it and waited.

"What are you doing here, mate?" Fenrys greeted him as he walked into the office and closed the door.

"Did you get someone to take your place?"

"Yeah, I got Con, I have five minutes or so, what's up?"

"Maybe nothing, maybe a lot," Rowan replied thoughtfully.

"Cut it to the point mate," Fenrys said, his expression going a little serious despite the grin.

"Is... Fireheart here tonight?" Rowan dropped his voice to a whisper, even if he knew no one could hear them there.

"Yeah, why?" Fenrys smirked.

"I was at the gala with Maeve tonight, as his escort," Rowan started. "And I saw her there," Rowan dropped his voice even more, just to be cautious. "I mean, it had to be her, she was even wearing the same mask."