Chapter 3: Pass or Fail: Survival Test

The world was cruel. That much was obvious. This was further proven as the four of you waited in the empty classroom for the laziest, slowest sensei in all of history, Kakashi Hatake. Not to mention, he was also a pervert who didn't even bother hiding the fact that he read porn in public. It also wasn't helping with the fact that you were stuck with the most obnoxious team ever.

        The universe really hated you, didn't it.

        "He's late," Naruto groaned. He stood up and slid the door open and stuck his head out. He peered down the hallway in both directions.

        "Naruto!" Sakura called in a scolding tone. "Stay still."

        "Why's it that only our squad's sensei is late?" he exclaimed, pulling his head back into the classroom. "The other squads have gone off somewhere with their new senseis, and Iruka-sensei's also left."

        "Patience is a virtue," you murmured. Naruto turned to you.

        "Eh? What's that supposed to mean?"

        "It means that waiting can lead to something good," you explained quietly. Naruto's only response was to huff. You closed your eyes and sighed through your nose. Suddenly, you could hear something thumping. Peeling one eye open, you saw Naruto dragging a chair over to the door and sliding it open slightly.

        "Hey, what are you doing, Naruto?!" Sakura's shrill voice rang. The boy only chuckled and inserted a blackboard eraser at the top of the open gap between the door and the wall. Sakura stomped over to the blond.

        "Hey!" she scolded.

        "It'll be his fault because he's late," Naruto said in his defense. He grinned and jumped down from the chair. Sakura just scowled and placed her hands on her hips.

        "Man! You're asking for it!" However, it was easy to see that she was secretly excited for the outcome of the prank that Naruto had set up. You had to refrain yourself from faceplanting into the desk at the amount of pure stupidity that the two were radiating.

        "A Jounin wouldn't get caught in such a weak booby trap," Sasuke put in. You would have agreed, but knowing Kakashi as well as the actual outcome, it was hard to do so. Sakura, being the fangirl she was, nodded along to Sasuke's words.

        "That's right. You're such a baka...!" Suddenly, a hand was spotted through the crack of the door. Everyone fell silent, awaiting the unfortunate Jounin's fate. As soon as the door opened, the eraser fell and landed with a pitiful plop on top of the silver hair of Kakashi while a cloud of dust poofed up. The classroom was enveloped in deathly silence. However, this was soon broken by Naruto cackling and pointing at the man.

        "I got him, I got him..." he chanted as he continued to laugh. Kakashi was frozen in his spot by the door.

        "G-Gomen'nasai, sensei," Sakura stammered, attempting to suck up to the former ANBU member. "I tried to stop him, but Naruto did it on his own..." Even so, it was painfully obvious that the girl had enjoyed the scene. Sasuke, however, was disappointed at the sensei. Kakashi finally unfroze and bent down to pick up the fallen eraser. You all stared at him, waiting for his next words.

        "Hm, how can I put this?" he murmured as he stared at the ceiling in contemplation. "As for my first impression of you guys...? Well, I hate you." The effect was immediate. The entire team slumped down as depression lines appeared over them. You were unaffected and remained indifferent, as you already expected this. "Meet me on the roof."

-------

        The rooftop was surprisingly large and looked more modern than the other parts of the village. Large arches loomed up from the roof and over a row of trees located behind three steps. Sasuke sat on the top step while Naruto and Sakura sat on each side of him on the second step. You sat beside Naruto as you rested your elbows on the top stair and leaned back.