Chapter 12: The Number One Hyperactive, Knucklehead Ninja Joins the Fight!

Naruto pulled you along through the trees back in the direction you came from. He gritted his teeth as his brows knitted together in concentration, hoping to get there in time.

        When you arrived back at Tazuna's house, the wall was broken down. Two of Gato's henchmen stood on the wooden pier with their swords drawn. Tsunami was lying between them, unconscious. Inari was running toward the two men. The henchmen exchanged a menacing grin before lunging forward and swiping at Inari's body with their swords. They landed behind him, clicking their swords back into their scabbards. However, when they turned around, they were met with the sight of a cut-up log.

        "Kawarimi no Jutsu (Substitution Technique)?!" one exclaimed in surprise as he looked around to see who could have done it.

        "That woman... Hm?" his partner muttered as he tried to locate Tsunami.

        "Sorry we were late," Naruto said casually as he gently placed Tsunami down on the pier further away from the two men. You were kneeling beside him while hugging Inari close to your chest. "Heroes usually appear on the scene late, so..."

        Inari opened his eyes and gasped when he saw you and Naruto. "(A/n) nee-chan, Naruto nii-chan...!"

        Naruto turned his head over to the boy and grinned reassuringly. "Inari, you did well!"

        "Huh?"

        "Thanks to you distracting them, I was able to save your kaa-san."

        "Nii-chan, nee-chan... how did you know that those samurai were here?"

        "In the forest, there was a boar that had been cut up with a sword. Other than that, there were trees with lots of cuts. They headed in the direction of your house, so I got worried."

        You leaned back a bit with a satisfied hum, releasing Inari from your grasp. Naruto was truly smart if he would just use his head, which wasn't very often.

        "If it isn't the no-good Ninja that Tazuna hired," one of Gato's men interrupted.

        "Let's do it," the other stated, placing his hand on the handle of his sword. His companion grunted in agreement, and they both rushed toward your little group. Naruto smirked and took out two shurikens before throwing. The older men only deflected them with their swords.

        "Hah! Something like that won't work!"

        Naruto only grinned cheekily. "Baka."

        The samurai growled in annoyance. Suddenly, the shurikens transformed into clones of Naruto who proceeded to kick them in the face, effectively knocking them out. The clones poofed away once their jobs were done. Inari watched with wide eyes.

        "S-Suge (Wow)...!"

        Naruto snickered before turning to face the boy, pumping his fist out. "It's done, 'ttebayo!"

        Inari sent him a bright grin. "Naruto nii-chan, you're just like... a Ninja!"

        "Baka," Naruto said with no real venom. "I was a Ninja to start with, dattebayo!"

        The two boys laughed simultaneously. Suddenly, you and Naruto both violently sneezed.

        "You have a cold?" Inari asked, addressing the two of you.

        "Daijoubu (I'm okay), dattebayo," Naruto answered for both. "Anyway... Sorry about yesterday, Inari."

        "Eh?"