Chapter 20: Eat or Be Eaten: Panic in the Forest

IMPORTANT:

PLEASE READ "CHAPTER 0: A SECOND CHANCE AT LIFE" PREVIOUSLY TITLED "PROLOGUE: REBORN IN... NARUTO?"

I HAVE UPDATED IT, AND IT IS ESSENTIAL TO THE PLOT. 

EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU READ IT, PLEASE RE-READ IT AS IT MAY BE DIFFERENT!

THANK YOU.

------

~Sakura's P.O.V.~

        When Sakura was younger, she used to be bullied because of the size of her forehead. Therefore, she became insecure about how she looked. But, that changed when Ino had approached her one day and gifted her a ribbon to make her forehead seem smaller. Ever since then, the two girls were practically attached at the hips; one was never seen too far from the other. That all changed once a certain male was spotted. 

        Sometimes, a small, subconscious part of Sakura hated Sasuke. She hated how easily he tore apart her friendship with Ino. She hated how he made it difficult for her to find other friends. She hated how he filled her thoughts every day and night. She hated how he did it without even realizing it. 

        Every time the hatred surface, it quickly disappeared when she thought about his good looks or his deep voice. Sakura, when she was fully conscious, felt like a zombie who would mindlessly follow prey. Her mind often felt hazy while doing an action, only to realize what she had done when she thought back to the moment. 

        Other girls were an enemy to her, an enemy who would try to steal Sasuke away from her. So when you walked in through the door that day, she immediately found something to hate you for. 

        As time went on, she found herself loathing you more and more. She loathed how Sasuke's gaze always seemed to linger on you (although, now that she thought about it, he seemed ready to take you apart like you were some sort of mystery or machine to be solved). She loathed how effortlessly strong you seemed to be. She loathed how you always seemed to keep your cool. In short, she was envious of you. 

        So, in the Land of Waves, when you offered (read: demanded) to train her, she couldn't believe it. Only then, once you started to teach her, did she see you in another light. For the first time in years, she was able to stop worrying about another rival for Sasuke. For the first time in years, she was able to gain a friend (well, self-proclaimed on her part). For the first time in years, she felt strong, like she was growing. She was not willing to be left behind.

        Sakura wanted to prove to you that you did not make a mistake by training her. The Chūnin Exam was a way to prove that to you. She was going to prove that you could rely on her.

        At least, that was what was going through her head as she stepped into the forest. The... dark... dark... forest... A scream rang throughout the trees, and crows took off into the sky. 

        'Maybe this was a bad idea,' she thought nervously. However, she slapped herself on her cheeks, shaking out the thoughts. She was going to do this. For you!

        Naruto whimpered, running over to a nearby tree. "I-I have to pee." 

        He began to unzip his pants, but Sakura quickly stopped him by punching on his head.

        "Y-You baka! What are you doing in front of a lady?! Go to the grass!"

        A welt grew on the blonde's head, and he went to do his business in the grass. After a while, Naruto emerged from behind the tree, sighing with satisfaction.