Chapter 55. Tryouts

Scarlett dressed to impress on her first day of sixth year. She wore a pair of fishnets under her uniform black skirt, that she may or may not have tailored to be a bit shorter than normal. Her makeup consisted of fierce winged eyeliner and shimmery eyeshadow to match her black and silver hair.

When she took her final look in the mirror she looked and felt amazing. Scarlett was the last to leave her dorm, meeting her friends at the Gryffindor table as they planned for breakfast.

Scarlett could feel the absence of Fred settling in but ignored it, enjoying the time she had before class. Harry recalled the story of being petrified by Malfoy and Luna saving him from being sent back to London.

Every so often a person or two would pass by the table, greeting her or talking about how great her latest article was. She had totally forgotten this week's edition of the magazine was out, her latest piece being on the people who had been disappearing recently.

It was a tribute to them, Ollivander, Fortescue and other missing people the wizarding world knew and loved. She wrote about them with empathy and compassion, reminding everyone to keep them in their thoughts.

She knew the article could be seen as risky, but she felt it was necessary. If the missing were to be brought home alive people needed to know the full extent of what was going on. Even if it meant a sad article about how Ollivander's had the best wands.

People obviously seemed to agree with her, voicing their approval. "Oi Scar, when did you get so famous?" A familiar voice came from behind her.

"Stewart? What the hell happened to you?" The third year had grown taller than her and more muscular too. Compared to last year he looked like he had aged three years in two months.

"Grew a bit and started lifting, my dad wanted to bond. Said I needed a manly hobby."

"Go back, I can't have you being taller than me. You're growing up too fast, I feel like a sad mum."

"No can do, but if it's any help my doctor said I'm set to grow another four inches this year." Stewart chuckled, Scarlett noticed his voice had dropped an octave. She watched as he walked away, absolutely flabbergasted.

"Luna, did you give Stewart permission to grow up?"

"That isn't how it works, but he has matured quite a bit."

"The audacity, If he stops making us hand made cards it's over."

Scarlett had directed the confused first years where they needed to go and received her schedule. She and Hermione had the same course load, Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Transfiguration, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes and Care of Magical Creatures.

Scarlett was glad to have her in every class as she loved working with the Gryffindor, they both had brilliant minds that were powerful when put together. The pair had become great friends, especially due to the current situation with Rowan and Cynthia. The halls were bustling with students as they walked to class, nervous for their first day of N.E.W.T studies.

Slughorn already seemed like a brilliant teacher, when they walked in there was a table set up with enticing potions. Unlike Snape's class they were allowed to stand up and speak. Just as class was starting Harry and Ron entered, explaining they had no books. They were sent to the cabinet as Slughorn began to teach.

The potion that stuck out to everyone was Amortentia. "It is the most powerful love potion in the world, it causes extreme infatuation. It is said to smell like what attracts you." Hermione volunteered to explain the liquid.

Slughorn lifted the lid, "what do you smell?"

"I smell, well I smell parchment, freshly mown grass, and... mint toothpaste." She choked on the last bit.