Chapter 1. Surprise

"Mum I promise, I'll be fine! I don't want to miss the train." She exclaimed, pointing her body in the direction of Hogwarts Express.

Newly twelve year old Scarlett was terrified, however she wouldn't admit it. Fear was masked with eagerness and excitement within most of the first years, she was no exception.

Her mother sighed, wiping her soft eyes with a silk handkerchief. "We know Scar, we're going to miss you so much. You're just growing so fast."

"I'll write, plus I'll be back for Christmas. Isn't it amazing, I get to do magic! They even have flying brooms and potions!" If the young girl had the time she very easily could've listed everything the school had to offer.

Her dad chuckled, hugging Scarlett for last time until winter. He beamed, "we're so proud of you, tell us everything when you get back. For now you've got a train to catch," he peered at his silver watch.

"Bye mum," she kissed her mother on the cheek. "Bye dad." For him it was a fist bump, a tradition they kept up since she was a toddler.

A flash of emotion passed her mother's eyes, "we love you, dear."

"I love you too."

She got on the train, ready to start her new life. The compartment was full of giddy children and teenagers, some even performing spells. She was in awe, of course she'd been to Diagon Alley and seen people do magic but it was different now. Walking with her mouth slightly open she found a seat.

"Hi, I'm Rowan!" A cheery girl approached her with a grin.

Scarlett fumbled on her words, the confident girl making her nervous. "I'm Scarlett, pleasure." Her Irish accent chattered.

"Know any cool magic?" Rowan sat next to her, "I've been practicing a bit myself."

"Well I read about one that I might be able to do."

"Let's see it then!" The Scottish girls voice was on the brink of impatience.

She nervously pulled out her wand, pointing it at her trunk. With a deep breathe she spoke, "alohamora." Nothing happened for a moment.

Then BOOM, a loud explosion commenced. Scarlett covered her face in fear, unsure of what happened. When her eyes opened again, half the compartment was in pieces. "Bloody hell."

Everyone's eyes were on her now, including an older boy. "Nice going, bomb girl." The chubby blonde boy laughed, causing the same reaction from the onlookers.

"Rowan? What happened?" Another girl popped into the compartment, eyes wide.

"Our new mate here, Scarlett, just had her first go at magic, Cynthia. She's quite good as you can see."

"Brilliant! Quite the explosion you caused, we could hear it from three carts down."

Within the first 10 minutes of the incident everybody was talking about it, calling her the name. Everybody, including two identical gingers. Two gingers that Scarlett wouldn't acknowledge for four years.

She didn't let it get to her as she thought the names were quite stupid, surely somebody could come up with a name at least more clever than that.