Chapter 56. Occlumency

Scarlett had refrained from mentioning Slughorn's party until she and the trio were sat in the Three Broomsticks on a snowy day. It was now approaching Scarlett's two year anniversary with Fred and since they wouldn't be together, she decided to go to Hogsmeade with the golden trio for a butterbeer to take her mind off it.

However their drinks were interrupted when Slughorn approached with a grin on his face. "Afternoon Harry," he smiled.

"Hello sir."

"Say, I'm hosting a dinner party. A select few student's invited, would you be game?"

"I'd consider it an honor, sir."

"You can attend as well Granger." Slughorn nodded at the girl. "Nice to see you too Wimby and Barnes."

Ron's face fell as the man walked off. "What are you playing at?"

"Dumbledore asked me to get to know him."

"Well at least Scar wasn't invited either. I'm not the only one."

Scarlett shifted in her seat, not wanting to make Ron upset. "Actually I was invited. On the train before term."

"Bloody hell, why didn't you tell us?" Ron slapped his hand on the table.

"Because, I was hoping to avoid this exact situation! It hasn't been easy with all this unwanted attention. I don't want everyone thinking I'm turning into a braggart or something." She lifted her hand to motion towards Harry. "I'm sure the chosen one can relate."

"I can, I see why she'd keep it a secret. Just yesterday I heard a fourth year making plans to ask her out and weasel his way into an autograph." Harry agreed with a nod

"Blimey, who?"

"I don't know his name, but I told him you're like a sister to me and I knew for a fact that you weren't the least bit interested."

Scarlett smiled, the people around were in fact all like family to her as well. Knowing she had them in her corner put her at ease, even when the world was rapidly changing. "Thanks Harry, I appreciate it."

Just then Katie Bell walked out of the pub, and Scarlett's stomach set ablaze. She sprang up, holding her core with a sweaty hand. "Follow me."

They ran out of the pub to find Katie walking with a friend who appeared to be scolding her. Scarlett was the first to notice it, an interesting looking necklace held in a bit of wrapping. The fire grew as she laid eyes on it, and she knew what she had to do.

She thanked Merlin that she still kept up with her morning runs as she sprinted to Katie, tackling the brunette to the ground. Leanne shrieked as Scarlett struggled with the Gryffindor, straddling her in the snow and getting her to drop the necklace.

"Get off me! I need to deliver the necklace!" Katie shrieked.

"Katie you've been cursed! Stop it!" Scarlett didn't know how she knew, but she did.

Just then Hagrid appeared with Harry, Ron and Hermione. "It's alright Scarlett, I can take it from here." the large man requested she get off the girl. Scarlett did as she was told as Hagrid picked up the girl and carried her flailing body to the castle along with the suspicious necklace.

"Bloody hell Scar, how'd you know?"

"I thought you could only detect people?"

"I don't know- it was just instinct. I could just tell something was off, not to mention my stomach was on fire." Scarlett looked towards Hagrid who was almost out of site. "We need to get to the teachers."

Katie Bell was sedated in the hospital wing, she would have to stay unconscious until the curse wore off. Apparently she was put under a spell, one to control her actions. Touching the necklace could've killed her.