Chapter 29. Pink

The welcoming feast was a nightmare. The new defense against the dark arts teacher was from the ministry. She dressed in all pink and was the epitome of annoying. Scarlett hadn't even spent much time with her and she already despised the new teacher. Dolores Umbridge.

The houses had to sit at their respective tables for the feast, but Scarlett could still hear Fred and George's comments about the disgustingly pink woman. From what she had listened to, they were on the same page. Scarlett just hoped that her teaching was better than her personality.

There wasn't time for Scarlett to see Fred again that night as she was swept into her new Prefect duties. On the train she had gotten her list of duties from the Head Boy and Girl, all she had to do during the ride was patrol the corridors for a little while.

Now she had to guide the first years to the common room, giving them reminders and tips as they walked. "Okay guys, you're all in Ravenclaw. As most of you know, or are about to find out, we're considered to be the smart people house. To live up to the standard, to enter our common room requires a riddle."

The first years looked fascinated as she greeted the portrait and answered the riddle with ease. The door swung open and they walked in. "Boys dorm's to the right, girls to the left. Goodnight everyone. Don't forget, schedules will be passed out by Flitwick tomorrow at breakfast so don't be late." Scarlett instructed them.  The boy prefect, Anthony Goldstein, gave a few more reminders and they were done.

She walked up to her own dorm, greeting her friends again. Luna was with them, radish earrings and Quibbler with her. They were reunited earlier by the carriages. Harry had noticed the thestrals for the first time, the blonde had to explain he was just as sane as her.

Now as the girls got ready for bed, they discussed the sorting hat's new song, as well as the new teacher and Hagrid's absence. Scarlett was more perplexed than anyone, knowing more about what was going on since she spent half the summer with the Order of The Phoenix. Cho seemed to be doing better, the bustle of her friends and the feast taking her mind off things.

They all said their goodnights and crawled into their respective beds. Scarlett was glad to be back in the comfort of her dorm, but she missed being with Fred. The pair had been attached at the hip, now they were so far away.

She cuddled with Darts, the milky colored cat giving her comfort. Scarlett fell asleep stroking his white fur, glad to know she could count on him. At least when he wasn't with Crookshanks.

The first month of school went by, it was interesting. Umbridge was awful, she assigned books with no magic and expected everyone to grant her every command. Her detentions were disturbing, making people write with blood quills. It happened to Harry on the first day of school. Scarlett made a point not to get one herself.

Unfortunately for her, it was getting colder as winter was approaching. Scarlett hated the cold weather that came every year. Luna and Scarlett had decided to pay a visit to the thestrals. One of the things Scarlett missed over the summer was the mysterious creatures.

They were petting a fully grown one when Luna spoke up, "Hello Harry Potter." Scarlett turned, there he was. She hadn't even heard him coming.

"Your feet, aren't they cold?" Luna wasn't wearing shoes. The bloody prats had stolen them again, the girls forgot to put the charm back on the dorm. Scarlett had offered a pair of her shoes to the girl, but she refused.

"Bit. Unfortunately all of my shoes have mysteriously disappeared, I suspect nargles are behind it."

"What are they?" Harry asked curiously.

"They're called thestrals," Scarlett started.

Luna continued, "they're quite gentle, but people avoid them really because they're a bit,"