Chapter 72. Hades

July 27, 1997

"I love you both so much, you know that
right?"

"Of course we do dear, are you alright?"

She cleared her throat, glancing back at the Eiffel Tower, "I'm fine. I just." She fumbled her words, "I just wanted you to know." Saoirse wrapped an arm around her, pulling her in tightly. "Mum,  I'm glad I could come."

"So are we, your father especially." She gave a ghost a grin, "he almost cried tears of joy when you told him the wedding was cancelled."

"Suppose one good thing came of it then." Scarlett's heart clenched as she lied through her teeth. She figured if it was the last time she would see them in who-knows how long she might as well please them, even if it required a few white lies.

She had gone to Paris, telling the Irish adults she would attend the whole time. It was a clever story, Fleur got pneumonia and had to cancel. Lying to them was never something she enjoyed, but it was necessary. Plus their temporary happiness was worth it.

That afternoon Scarlett was ready. Her parents stood by the window, looking down at the city. The time was right, she had only a half hour before she was due to meet Hermione. Both girls had planned everything with precaution, charming handbags to be undetectably expanded and filling them with everything. Scarlett filled hers with clothes, maps, books, potions ingredients, emergency cans of food, anything that could ever be deemed useful.

Hermione was set to meet her in front of the Leaky Cauldron before meeting the others outside the Ministry. The plan was fool proof and there was no backing out now, not with all the people depending on her. So she grabbed her luggage, the small purse, and pointed her wand at her unaware parents. A tear fell from her eye as her hand shook.

"Obliviate." A mist flew out, erasing every memory her parents had of her and replacing them. There was no time to stand around, giving them one last look she disapparated. The familiar twisting and pulling sensation filled her as she was transported to London. The relief was short lived when she touched the ground, Hermione was already there as well.

"Scarlett," the brunette ran up and pulled her into a tight squeeze. "It was awful." Her voice shook.

"I know Hermione, I'm so sorry." She rubbed her friends back, giving them both comfort. "They'll be safe now, I promise." Another slow tear pricked her own eye, but there was no time to mourn. "We should get going."

"You're right," Hermione glanced at her wrist watch. "They're probably all waiting for us. You have everything you need?" Hermione eyed her black handbag, "I suppose so considered I was on the phone the whole time you packed."

Scarlett chuckled, "I'm all set, shall we?" She turned around, coming face to face with the last person she wanted to see. Her breath sucked in as she took a step back, bumping into Hermione. The brunette took notice, wrapping a hand around her arm.

Verity was walking down the pavement, blonde hair pulled into a braid. She looked at Scarlett, eyes going wide. Her coffee dropped to the ground, splattered and spraying the women's white blouse. She breathed a profanity, picking the cup off the dirty city street.

Hermione whispered in her ear, "come on Scar, she's not worth your time."

"Right," Scarlett came to her senses, letting Hermione lead her away.

She reminded herself of the important job they were doing, feeling foolish for becoming distracted by the face of the girl who... She scolded herself again, then remembered. "The twins are going to be there, aren't they?"

"Yes, but you have to remember we're doing this for Harry. But that outfit looks nice so It'll make Fred nuts anyway." Hermione tried to be positive, "black never was my color, but it suits you quite well."