▪︎3▪︎

I'm looking at the letters that I got from my tenant's bosses. Chicago bought this apartment for Ryan and me, but he could only pay for two months. I thank him every day, but me being a waitress doesn't give me a lot of money. An apartment in New York, even in Brooklyn where our little apartment is located, is very expensive. For twenty months, I've managed to pay my rent, without taking trips or buying many gifts for Ryan, but now I'm not sure if I can pay my rent anymore. The rent is only going up every year and if it keeps going like this, I won't be able to keep living here with Ryan.

Beca's family hasn't spoken to me ever since Ryan was born. Well, except for Emma, Liam, and Kara. Emma gave birth to her daughter Sofie half a year ago. She and Tim are having a daughter already from four years old. She has enough money, but she doesn't brag about it. She keeps working for her money, just like I do. Liam is only twenty-three years old, almost twenty-four and he was furious about the pregnancy but he eventually understood that I couldn't have an abortion and he forgave me. Kara is nineteen now and is enjoying her time at Barden University. She misses Beca a lot.

Beca's parents and her youngest brother are a different story. They were furious and told me never to come back to their house. Wyatt called me a whore and wished me all kinds of things. I know Wyatt and Beca were very close, but it still hurts. He must have said it in his anger but everybody knew how much I loved Beca. I would never intently cheat on Beca. I wanted to propose to her before the ship sank. That day I lost Beca but also lost the ring. It sank together with Beca.

I sigh and flip once again through the letters. How am I going to pay? I can't let them throw me out of this apartment. Ryan grew up here and I want him to build a life here, maybe even move to Manhattan but that's just a dream. I quietly laugh. That will never happen because I'm not rich. I'm barely holding it together here but I won't ask for help. My parents taught me to work for my happiness. I have to keep going, for Ryan.

I close the folder where I keep all the letters and put them away again. I grab my phone and scroll through pictures of Beca and me.