▪︎ 36 ▪︎

8.45 AM. It's the time when I hear my bedroom door slowly open and closing. I keep lying on my side, back towards the wall. I'm not ready to wake up just yet. Not long after, Ryan appears. His stuffed red panda safely tucked under his left arm.

,,Mommy, wake up!" He says and climbs on top of me. When I don't react, he shakes my shoulders lightly. ,,Mommy, wake up." He murmurs. I open my eyes, surprising Ryan. I grab him by his midsection and tickle him mercilessly. Ryan erupts in giggles and squirms wildly, kicking his feet in the air to get red of my offensive hands. ,,Mom-Mommy st-stop!" Ryan exclaims between giggles.

,,Good morning, sweety." I say, a big grin playing on my lips.

,,Hi mommy."

,,Did you sleep well?" I ask before kissing his forehead.

,,Yeah!"

,,Ready for your birthday party today?" Ryan nods and let himself be carried in my arms. Once we arrive at the bottom of the stairs, we're greeted by James and Noah.

,,Good morning, little nephew." Noah greets Ryan and goes through his hair with his hand. He follows me towards the kitchen, where I put Ryan down on a chair. I place a bowl of milk with cereals in front of him and help myself to some coffee.

,,Mommy, why don't you make us pancakes? Uncle Noah wants some too and I never get those."

,,Sweety, remember when I told you about the fire?" Ryan nods. ,,Well, that's why I can't. I have to save money to stay living here." I can't lie to Ryan. I hate being poor, but I can't lie to my little boy. Noah gives me a sympathetic look.

,,You know what?" Noah looks at Ryan now, while James thrashes around, trying to wake his mother. ,,Next time you're going to stay over at my place and then you can have as many pancakes as you want." Noah holds out his hand. ,,Deal?" Ryan's face lights up as he starts laughing and wraps his arms around Noah's neck. Hearing Ryan laugh is the best thing in the world. I finish all our breakfasts and sit next to Ryan to start eating.

Hours later, the party is in full swing. I never thought there could fit so many people in this tiny apartment, but every corner of this apartment is full of people. James, Arwen and Ryan are happily running around, playing with each other. Arwen is so good with both James and Ryan, mostly because she's already four years old. Emma told me that she was going to kindergarten in August and I'm happy for her. She will love school.

I look around and see everyone that I love. Emma, Tim, Noah, Gwen, Liam, Juliet... They're standing in the corner, talking to each other, laughing and watching James and Arwen carefully. Kara, Nina, Zoey and Lena are enjoying the drinks and snacks, while they talk about Gwen's pregnancy. They're even discussing names for the little baby. I can't wait for Gwen to find out what gender it will be.

,,Chloe, you did a great job organizing this." Liam and Kara comes to me now.

,,Thank you, but I didn't do it this year. Well, except for Ryan's present. Emma and the rest of my family did most."

,,Ryan will be spoiled." Kara points to the kitchen table who is full with little presents. All presents approved by me. ,,It's what he deserves. Ryan is such a sweet little guy."

,,Too bad Wyatt is still mad at me." I look down for a moment.

,,Wyatt is an idiot!" Liam says harshly. ,,Just like my parents. Everybody knows how much you love Beca and now that you've promised us that you won't have sex with Chicago anymore and to ban Donovan out your life, everything is all good again. Well, at least with us." He throws his arm around my shoulders.