Chapter Twenty One

You woke up the next morning feeling Fred's head nestled in the crook of your neck, and his hair tickling your face. The hand that he had draped across you during the night was still there and now that hand was holding both of yours.

"Fred," you whispered lightly and unmoving, "are you awake?"

"Unfortunately yes," he replied a few seconds later, "Fuck I'm so tired," he groaned. Fred shifted his weight towards you even more while he spoke. You could now feel his cotton sweatpants on the backs of your legs and his entire chest against your back. 

"Thanks for the sleepover," he mumbled into your neck as he kissed it, "How'd you sleep?"

"Very well," you said, turning your head and smiling up at him.

You then moved to sit up, but Fred quickly wrapped both arms around your middle, and the sheer weight of his arms anchored you to the bed.

"Stay with me a little longer?" Fred asked, "Please?"

You obliged, laying back down and relaxing against Fred's body. Your eyes fluttered closed as the two of you laid together and you spent the rest of the morning in Fred's arms.

The month of November came and went in the blink of an eye, anticipation for the dance still steadily growing amongst the fifth years. 

Thankfully, you and Fred's relationship had only strengthened since the incident of Halloween and were still undoubtedly attending the dance together as a couple. Your month together was full of dates at The Three Broomsticks in your usual booth, a lot of quidditch gameplay, and late nights of studying, sometimes accompanied by a little more than just studying.

Although the potion incident was an event of the past, it still irked you that you had never finished your conversation with Dilla. You longed to do so and thought about it whenever you saw her, which was nearly every day. However, you knew how fast it would get out of control due to the anger you knew you would express. 

Though, Fred was always there to ground you and remind you that if you were to get caught dueling or fist fighting Hogwart's first and only transfer student, there would surely be consequences waiting for you. You suspected that Dilla also knew this which would explain why she did not bother staying hidden from you or out of your way. 

Fred himself was very lucky that Adrian had kept quiet about the brawl, leaving Fred out of any more detentions and trouble that his pranks with George already got him in. 

The date of the dance finally arrived. Throughout the day, nearly every fifth year was jittery with excitement and nerves. 

When final classes had been dismissed for the school day most immediately started to prepare, you and your friends included. The three of you showered, did your hair, slipped on your dresses, and with Katie's help, applied some makeup. 

After getting ready, you, Angelina, and Katie were all donning your gowns and were ecstatic, ready to experience whatever the dance would be. The feeling of unsureness of what exactly you were all going into can be attributed to the limited information regarding the dance. 

The only provided details were that all fifth-year students were to wear formal attire and go to the Great Hall at six o'clock on the night of December seventh for a dance. However, the mysterious nature made it only more intriguing.

Before leaving your dorm, you looked at yourself in the mirror, checking to see if there was anything you missed. You looked at and adjusted your dress, which you loved even though you had nearly faceplanted in it the first time you tried it on back in Madam Malkins'. The memory made you cringe but brought a smile to your face remembering that Fred had caught you. 

The meticulous silken gown was impeccable. It's swirly green color complimented your features perfectly while it's shape accentuated your figure in the best way possible. Plus, you were able to move in it exceptionally well, perfect for any dancing you would do.

Unlike Halloween, the boys were the first down in the common room, waiting at the bottom of the girl's staircase. Fred was leaning against the banister, wearing simple black robes with a white dress shirt and black pants underneath. Both Lee and George wore similarly fashioned robes like Fred's 

"We all clean up pretty nice huh," Lee said, taking Katie's hand, "everyone ready to party?"

"Let's hope we don't have to endure some eccentric and dull dinner party beforehand," answered George, linking his arm with Angelina's.

The other two couples began to head off towards the Great Hall, already smitten by their partners. You turned to Fred, who was still leaning on the banister, looking at you.

"Are you planning on leaving that banister and going to the dance with me?" you asked jokingly, "We haven't got all night you know." 

"Just let me take in how insanely beautiful you look and then we can go." he casually responded, still looking you up and down with a sweet smile.

Fred's words took you by surprise and suddenly made you feel extremely conscious of how you were standing as well as your fidgeting hands. 

Fred then suddenly stood upright and put his hand out in front of you, "shall we?" he said in a sarcastic regal tone.

"We shall," you said back, stifling laughter as you spoke the words, taking Fred's hand.

Together, the two of you made your way down to the Great Hall, but in no particular rush. You were just glad you were spending it with Fred, who you assumed would say the same about you. He had almost walked into a few walls due to his gaze falling back on you instead of keeping it on where he was stepping. Every time he did so you had to both steer him away from the wall while eruupting into laughter.

Finally, the two of you rounded the corner and stood at the entrance of the Great Hall.

You gasped in surprise at how beautiful everything looked. Instead of its usual natural lighting from candles, it was now illuminated entirely in blue. The house banners that hung from the ceiling glittered and upbeat music that students actually listened to was playing. Many of the fifth year students inside the room already, other couples entering, walking past you and Fred. You even spotted your four friends, each already dancing with the other.

"Ready?" Fred asked you, "Like you said we haven't got all night." he said, his lips cracking into a smile.

"Ready," you responded, nodding and squeezing Fred's hand to second your words.

You and Fred, hand and hand then entered the Great Hall.