Chapter Seventeen

Your October was off to an amazing start, you and Fred both asking each other to the dance, being a perfect way to kick it off. You were falling for each other more every day, stealing sweet kisses in empty hallways and holding hands with each other under tables. However, you still were not officially dating, only just a fling. You badly wanted to be in a relationship with Fred, despite what you had with him feeling like the definition of one.

You were swamped with homework as your classes continued to increase in difficulty. However, like all things, you worked through it. The days started flying by, the leaves on the whomping willow changed into bright oranges and reds, the restless tree soon shaking them off. 

As Halloween crept closer, the Great Hall soon became decorated with floating pumpkins overnight.

"Am I crazy," Lee said, sitting down next to you the morning after the room had been decorated, "or were there no floating pumpkins yesterday?"

"There were no floating pumpkins yesterday Lee," Katie reassured him, "They must have put them up last night. Halloween is only a week away."

"Speaking of Halloween, what should our plans be?" George asked the five of you.

"Some of the seventh years were talking about hosting some sort of inter-house Halloween party in the common room this morning!" Angelina chimed in, "Maybe fifth years will be able to go?"

"Well, Hufflepuff hosted one last year and I'm almost positive it was 5th years and up." Fred said, "So we probably can go this year."

"We should all dress up!" Katie exclaimed, "I know it's more of a muggle thing but it would be so fun!"

The decision was unanimous. You all decided that it would be fun to dress up and go to the party for Halloween.

"Wait," Lee said, "Fred and George have never celebrated a muggle Halloween before. There's no way they will end up with good costumes on their own. We should all pair up."

"Fred and I, George and Angelina, and Katie and Lee?" you said, "That works out perfectly."

Later in the common room, you sat in front of the blazing fire brainstorming costume ideas with Fred, who was sprawled out on one of the couches.

"How about we dress up as an angel and a devil?"

"Which one am I?" Fred smirked at you.

"Actually that costume is pretty common. I'm sure someone else will do it," you said.

"Who are the characters from that muggle television show you showed me? I remember you told me that you've watched every single episode, even the ones from the 1960s. We could be them?" Fred offered.

"Scooby-Doo?" you questioned.

"Yeah, that's it! We could be Shaggy and Velma."

"That's actually perfect Fred," you said, surprised at how quickly you guys had found an idea.

"I know," he said sitting up, "I'm known for my knowledge on all things Halloween," he continued sarcastically.

"Go find stuff for your costume and I'll do the same okay?" you said, heading towards your dorm, "And meet back down here?"

"Yes ma'am!" Fred said springing off of the couch and walking up the stairs two steps at a time.

Once in your dorm, you grabbed an orange tee-shirt and your white skirt which took you quite a few minuutes to locate. You figured you could charm to be orange colored for the night of the party. You exited your dorm, clothes in hand but before you could go back down the stairs, Fred was already waiting at the top of them, in costume.

He was wearing a loose light green sweater and baggy khaki pants. Most noticeably, his hair was no longer it's normal copper red, but now an ash brown.

"How do I look?" he said, opening his palms and gesturing to his costume.

"YOUR HAIR FREDDIE!" You exclaimed in shock, quickly going to him, trying to inspect it closer.

Fred bent his knees to get his hair at your eye level, allowing you to see it up close.

"Change it back." you said crossing your arms, "It's weird seeing you without your normal hair."

"Yeah? Or what?" he teased.

"O-Or we're done!" you said, trying to hold back a laugh, attempting to keep the very serious expression you had put on. Fred said nothing. He just crossed his arms back and looked at you, smirking and waiting for you to say you were kidding. You weren't about to give up that easily though.

"Fine. Have it your way," you shrugged, "I guess we're broken up," you said this as you turned back towards your dorm.

However, Fred reached out and grabbed your hand, pulling you close to him. The two of you nose to nose.

"That's interesting," he breathed, "how can we be broken up if we haven't even started dating yet?" he hesitated for a moment before he continued, "Do you want to? You know, be my girlfriend?"

"I have been waiting for that question for longer than you know Freddie," you smiled, "and if it wasn't obvious my answer is absolutely."

Fred leaned in and kissed you, still holding your hand, using the other to cup your face. You began to kiss him back but felt a sharp pain hit your shoulder, causing you to fall forward into Fred's chest.

You whipped around to see that Dilla had been walking up the stairs and had pushed you using her entire right side and shoulder.

"What's your deal with shoving me around," you said to her, "seems to be the only thing you're any good at."

'Well, maybe I wouldn't have bumped into you if you two weren't crowding the stairs so much." she responded, looking at you and Fred over her shoulder.

"Watch it, Dilla," Fred spat, "go run off to Pucey or something. Whatever you do, I do not care. Just leave us alone."

"Fine fine," she said airily waving her hand, "you lovebirds have a fantastic night." she drawled sarcastically before slipping into the dorm and closing the door.

"She really is an asshole huh," Fred said, slightly bending his knees and enveloping you in a hug, wrapping his arms around you, and placing his chin on your head.

You sighed a breath of relief as he held you and already began to feel your thoughts about Dilla washing away.