Chapter Sixteen

A few days after the quidditch teams were announced and practices for all teams had started up, the date of Gryffindor's first game was released. 

"We play Slytherin the first week in October," George said, flicking through one of the many books piled on the table.

You and your friends were all in the library, studying for an upcoming potions exam Snape had sprung onto the class last minute, and none of you knew what you were doing. You all stayed in the library almost the whole afternoon after class until it closed for the night. As you and your friends made your way back to the tower, you worried about the exam. However, you figured that a potions exam was your biggest problem, then you were well off.

The potions exam came and went, and the quidditch match drew closer. The day of, you were sitting in the common room with Angelina and Katie and watched as Kenneth Towler approached Alicia Spinnet. You didn't hear what he said to her but whatever it was made her nod vigorously and throw her arms around him into a hug.

"Wonder what that's about," you said turning to Angelina.

"Well the dance is only a little while away and from the looks of it Towler just successfully made Alicia his date," she said.

"Do you think Fred's going to ask you soon?" Katie asked you.

"I mean, we aren't even dating yet, people just know we have a thing and are seeing one another. But I would hope that it's enough for him to ask me," you responded.

"I think Lee tried to ask me at breakfast and I accidentally ruined it when I nearly knocked over an entire pitcher of orange juice on the table," Katie said sheepishly, "I was so anxious and was getting nervous about how I would respond! Even though I knew wanted to say yes!"

You and Angelina laughed, remembering the events that had taken place earlier in the day. 

Angelina then voiced her thoughts on dates for the dance.

"I was thinking of asking someone myself," Angelina said, blushing.

"Who!?" you and Katie said in unison.

"Well, George." she said before quickly burying her head in her arms, "Stupid right?" she said, her voice muffled from under her arms.

"No, you have to do it, Angie!" Katie said, "He will say yes trust me!"

"When were you thinking of asking him?" you asked.

As Angelina shared how she was going to ask George to the dance, the time of the Quidditch match grew nearer. After about an hour of talking about the dance, you bid Angelina and Katie goodbye as well as wished them good luck as they headed to the pitch to warm-up before the game started.

After a while, you began to head up to your dorm, planning on grabbing a jacket for the match. Katie had mentioned to you earlier that it may rain and you saw through your dorm windows that the sky was indeed quickly filling with dark clouds.

You grabbed your jacket from your trunk and quickly made your way down to the pitch.

When you reached the outside of the pitch and were walking towards the entrance of the stands, you saw Dilla out of the corner of your eye walking behind you. As you walked by the entrance of the tent, Adrian emerged. You assumed he was coming out to meet Dilla, so you tried to widen your distance between you and him. You didn't want to see Dilla kiss any other guys if it was as horrific as her kiss with Fred was.

"Hey!" Adrian said, waving to you with a gloved hand, fully adorned in his quidditch uniform.

"Hi Adrian, I'm sorry but I really don't have time to talk. Besides, Dilla's right over there, and I'm sure she wants to talk to you,"  you said pointing to Dilla who was still walking towards the tent.

"Oh uh-" Adrian started.

"I really gotta go! Bye Adrian," you said, interrupting him before quickly rushing off towards the stands.

You felt kind of guilty about how you spoke to Adrian. But, if blowing him off meant not having to interact with Dilla and her dramatics, then you didn't mind as much.

You eventually reached the stands and found Hermione who had saved a seat for you.

"They're coming out now!" Hermione said, "You're just in time."

You watched as the Gryffindor team exited the tent, immediately spotting Fred. The Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, and about half of the Ravenclaw section erupted into cheers and shouts of support. Soon after, the Slytherin team walked out of their tent, the Slytherins and the other half of the Ravenclaws cheered loudly, despite their smaller number of fans.

Madam Hooch had all of the players get into position and then started the game at the blow of her whistle. 

Gryffindor gained possession of the quaffle first, more specifically Katie. As she sped off towards the goal you and all of the others in the Gryffindor section cheered for her.

You heard Lee commentating through his wand and he then announced that Katie had impressively scored within the fifteen seconds of the game. 

"Now the Slytherin's have the quaffle, Pucey's heading towards the goal. Ah but he's soon blocked by a bludger sent his way by nonother than Fred Weasley!"

You cheered loudly for Fred's success in blocking Pucey. 

"Angelina Johnson now has the quaffle, there she goes, and she scores! Absolutely whipping the quaffle past Slytherin's keeper Miles Bletchley!"

The match continued for another hour, Lee commentating the whole time. For nearly the entire length of the match, it was either team's game to win.

"And he's done it! Seeker Harry Potter has caught the snitch taking the win for Gryffindor with a score of 200 points compared to Slytherin's 100!" Lee shouted exuberantly. As he said this, a boom of thunder rattled through the sky and rain finally came pelting down, taking no time to soak through everyone's clothes.

The Gryffindor section went wild with applause and hollering at their win and started leaving the stands, traveling in a large group towards their house's tent to celebrate. You lost Hermione in the chaos of the crowd finding yourself at the front of it.

You walked at a fast pace to not get completely trampled by those behind you. The heavy rain had not ceased and was now coming down even harder. Finally, you reached the tent. The Gryffindor team was waiting right outside their tent, prancing around in the rain hooting with excitement.

"Fred!" you called out, seeing him and starting to jog to him, "Fred!"

Even though his uniform was water-resistant and had shielded his body fairly well, he was still affected by the rain neck up. His hair was a sopping wet mess and you watched as he roughly ran a hand through it, messily slicking it back. 

"Fred! Over here!" you called out for the third time. This time he heard you. Despite just playing a hard game of Quidditch he immediately broke into a sprint towards you.

When you reached each other, you practically jumped onto him, wrapping your arms around him into a tight hug. Fred lifted you up, his arms around your middle and you both laughed hard into each other's shoulders. You felt Fred pull his head back, so you did the same. Despite the pouring rain you and Fred were both smiling. Then you both spoke at the same time.

"Will you go to the dance with me?" you both asked the other.