12 | broken again

(Y/N)'s POV:

It is an odd feeling, seeing the same darkness no matter how wide you open your eyes as when you close them.

I heard Kirishima or Bakugou shift closer to me, were they as nervous and afraid as me?

As the footsteps got louder, closer, I knew what I had to do. We needed to see who or what was out there.  I instinctively looked down at my right hand, expecting to see my palm, having forgotten the darkness.

"(Y/N)," I heard Kirishima whisper, which confirmed my thoughts.

I let my hand engulf in a crimson flame, the sudden light stung my eyes, forcing me to squeeze them shut.

"Who's there?" Bakugou asked surprisingly firmly.

The light from my hand only illuminated a few meters, yet the footsteps had stopped.

"Let's get moving, this is freaking me the hell out," Kirishima grabbed my forearm.

"Put that flame out," Bakugou said, his eyes staring at where the footsteps had stopped, "It'll give away our position," her jerked his head to where Kirishima and I knew the nearest exit was, "Run!"

On his cue I aimlessly sprinted in what I hoped was that direction. I heard their footsteps next to me, which gave me some comfort.

However, as we were nearing what I thought to be the exit, I noticed that there was another set of footsteps coming from behind us.

Then everything happened so fast. Just as I wanted to call out, I felt a hand cover my mouth firmly. I couldn't manage a scream before I suddenly felt a sinking feeling in my entire body that felt like it was lifting me off the ground. A pastel green light suddenly clouded my vision, which seemed to render me speechless and motionless.

 I came to lying awkwardly on a hard, cold floor. It took my brain a few moments to register what had just happened, before the adrenaline kicked in and I jumped up.

Where was I? Had I been kidnapped? How far away from home am I?

My mind was buzzing with questions as I stared into the darkness my heart pounding. There was a familiar smell of books and pencils in the air. Could it be?

Feeling my hand tremble, I let my right fingertip produce a small flame.

I was right, I was in a UA classroom. Not our classroom as the dent Bakugou had "accidentally" made next to the whiteboard was not there, but without a doubt, I was still in UA.

A soothing sense of relieve filled my shaking body. But what had just happened?

My thoughts came to a shrieking halt as I heard movement in the far end of the classroom. I prepared myself for a fight, trying to remember all my training. Whatever it was, I was ready.

"(Y/N)," my heart sank to my stomach when I heard that familiar voice.

"S-Shouto?" I asked carefully.

He stepped out of the shadows and I gasped. If I hadn't seen his eyes I would not have recognised him at all. His clothes were all black and he was wearing a long black leather jacket. Even his once familiar eyes looked angry and dark.  He looked just like a -

"(Y/N)," he said again, yet it sounded like my name left a foul taste in his mouth.

I carefully approached him, "What is going on? Why-"

Before I could finish my sentence, he lunged forwards and landed a hard punch in my side. I tumbled back, gasping for air. What had just happened? My brain was so confused I couldn't dodge the next one, this time against my face.

"FIGHT BACK!" he screamed, "GOD DAMN IT (Y/N)! FIGHT BACK!"

I had never heard him scream like that. Fight back? I felt my body go numb with shock and confusion. I couldn't hurt him.

"Why?" I cried hoarsely, "Why are you doing this?"

He grabbed me by my collar and held me up, "Because I hate you. This is who I am you were just to blind to see it!" he glared at me.

There, for a split second I saw something. Was that fear?

"I never want to see you again. You are dead to me," he dropped me onto the ground.

Then he just left me there. My mind was racing, the pain I was in confirmed this couldn't be a dream. The blood dripping from my face was real. This had actually just happened. I had just lost the person closest to me. Or was that even him all along?

I burst out into tears, curling up on the cold floor. The tears weren't for the physical pain, but because I had just felt my heart shatter into millions of pieces, which's shards felt like they were cutting the inside of my chest.

It was that same feeling from that day all those years ago.

I had just broken again.

Shouto's POV: 

(3 hours earlier)

"I'm not doing that! You can't take that away from me too!" I clenched my fist, staring at Shigaraki's one eye I could see behind his hand mask.

"You have to cut ties with her," he repeated in a shaky voice, "No more visits, no more contact! I won't have it! You're one of us now, you don't need her. She is the enemy!"

Touya was leaning against a wooden table behind him with his eyes closed, crossing his arms. I knew he would tell him, and I had a feeling this would be the outcome.

"I can always do it for you!" Toga smiled at me with a wild look in her eyes.

"No," I was too afraid of what she would do to (Y/N), I had to do it, "How should I cut ties with her?" I said more confidently and sarcastically than I should have.

"The next attempt to eliminate All Might, we'll separate her from the rest," I saw the edge of his dry lips pull up into a wide smile under his mask, "Then you can talk to her. Of course you'll need to make your statement... believable. I want to see blood on your hands!" he laughed, "Plus then we'll have an easy way to make your new position... public."

"You know what'll happen if you disobey," Touya finally opened his eyes and stood up straight, "Just do as he says."

 I felt anger rise up inside my chest, I wanted to attack, but I knew my chances were too slim.

"That's what I thought", Shigaraki sighed happily and got up, "Well let's go, we've got a hero to kill!" he laughed and started walking towards the door, brushing past me.

The rest of the League followed, Touya was last.

"Do it to keep her safe," he whispered as he walked past me, "Wounds heal."

I felt a knot in my throat, I turned to follow him when I caught a glimpse of myself in the stained wall mirror. This was me now, black boots and jeans with a matching long leather jacket; a hood to cover my hair and a mask to cover my face.

"(Y/N)," I whispered with my eyes burning with tears, "I'm so sorry for what I'm about to do."