04 | the aftermath

Shouto's POV:

Her scream hit me like a ton of bricks. I saw how blood started to run down her arm. That guy was going to pay. As I stepped forward, Hagakure Toru grabbed my arm.

"Don't Todoroki! You'll only get yourself hurt as well!" her voice was shaking.

"I don't care! She's the only thing I really care about and she's getting injured!" I tried to get out of her grip.

"(Y/N) told me something. She said that if you never balance out your elements you'll get hurt. I'm stopping you for her!" she wouldn't let go.

Just as I wanted to reply, I heard a rough voice from behind us.

"Well, well, well. Too bad for you, ice-boy, you didn't freeze me completely," a bulky thug was standing right behind us, a baseball bat in his hands.

A much as I hated to admit it, (Y/N) was right. I had to balance my elements, I needed to use my fire to warm my body from all the ice and the ice to cool my body from the fire; but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I pulled Hagakure behind me and started to try to freeze him. It took time, but soon enough he was definitely not breaking loose any time soon, then falling to my knees, feeling a numbing cold spread across my entire trembling body. Why was I so weak?

Then I heard a skin-crawling crack and (Y/N) scream again, much louder than before. I pulled myself up and spun around. What I saw made me feel sick. The monster had her in his hand and he was crushing her. My mind was racing, it was going to kill her! All I wanted to do was run out there. I wanted to end that monster's life. I wasn't going to let her die.

But I couldn't move. Damn my curse of a quirk. Then Bakugou and Kirishima rushed passed us. Bakugou focused a huge explosion towards the beast and it dropped (Y/N). Kirishima picked her up and sprinted away. Bakugou blinded the monster with a series of explosions and closely followed.

Finally, the pro heroes arrived. I stared blankly at the ground. I failed. I was weak. I couldn't save the one and only person I cared about, the person I swore to protect.

"Todoroki! Let's go!" Harakure pulled me away.

One thought went through my head again, again and again. Was (Y/N) dead? Doctors were already at the scene and gave every single one of us a check-up. It was only now when i noticed the cold burns on both of my forearms and deep graze on my right cheek that needed bandaged up. But honestly I didn't care. All I could think about was (Y/N). Most of us were all sent home immediately and the severely injured were brought to the hospital. My sister was waiting for me when I arrived.

"Shouto! You're alright!" she hugged me.

I didn't say anything.

"What's wrong?" she asked and looked at me, then my bandages.

I avoided her eye.

"Shouto!" she shook me.

Suddenly I remembered the sound of the monster crushing (Y/N) and her scream. It echoed in my head. Over and over and over again. It was driving me insane. Sweat started to collect in my palms and on my forehead and a sinking feeling in my stomach, making me feel sick. Taking a deep breath, I tied to calm myself, but it was no use. My head started to spin and I felt my stomach turn. Pictures of (Y/N) being crushed by the monsters grip flashed before my eyes, backed up by the screaming. I couldn't take it anymore. I ran to the bathroom, slammed the door shut and started to throw up.

"Shouto? Are you ill?" Fuyumi knocked on the door.

"L-leave me alone," I coughed.

"You haven't changed one bit," she slid the door open and kneeled down next to me, running her hand over my back.