18 | home

(Y/N)'s POV:

The rest of that evening passed in a haze. Police reports and medical examinations after the other, yet I was fine with doing all that; I had to know Shoto was in the room. I had to know he was still there.

Just when we thought we could all go back home, the dorms were closed down and the classes were suspended until further notice, we were told of All Might's fall from being the No. 1 Hero. I was relieved to hear he was still alive, yet there was a certain sense of venerability we all felt now, our symbol of peace was no longer there to protect us.

Shoto's sister came to pick him up at the station. I watched as she jumped out of the car and sprinted towards him, giving him a tight hug. I saw their mouths moving as they talked, but decided to keep my distance so I wouldn't intrude.

I checked my phone again. It was really unlike Nara not to answer her phone. Looking up to the night sky I took a deep breath, pulling the chilly air into my exhausted lungs. I closed my eyes, trying to process my day, but how do you even start to process something like this. I felt tears sting in my eyes.

Suddenly, a hand on my arm made me jump.

 "(Y/N)," Shoto had walked back over to me, "Can you come over tonight," his voice was hoarse, as if he'd forgotten how to use it, his face was pale.

I blinked a few times, casting another look at my phone's screen, void of any messages, "Of course."

He looked at the ground, making me take a step closer to him and wrap my arms around his body.

 "You're alight," I didn't let go, "We're alright."

I felt him nod, "I thought I'd never see you again," he whispered, "I'm so, so, so sorry."

 "Let's get going!" we both turned around at his sister's voice, she was beckoning us towards the car, "You're more than welcome," she smiled at me, I could tell how relieved she was.

 "Thank you," I bowed my head slightly as we got into the back seat with Shoto.

 The drive was awfully quiet, I felt Shoto lean against my shoulder as I firmly clasped his hand in my lap. It was only about 10 minutes in that I noticed that he had fallen asleep.

Shoto's POV:

I awoke as we pulled into our driveway. Not believing that I had actually managed to fall asleep, I straightened my back, rubbing the tension in my neck.

 "We're here," (Y/N) was still holding my hand, smiling. Only now did I notice that that picture never compared to the real thing. How I had missed that smile.

 "Let's get you lot to bed," Fuyumi breathed as we stepped out of the car.

I wanted nothing more, finally some decent sleep in my own bed. I was home.

But little did I know, that my battle was far from over.

(Y/N)'s POV:

Despite wanting nothing more than to talk to him all night, none of us managed to stay awake for long after we had gotten ready for bed. I had borrowed some of his clothes to sleep in. His bed was such a relief to fall back into, warm, comforting, safe; everything the past 24 hours had not been.

He pulled me in close, allowing me to lay my head on his chest. He kissed my forehead carefully.

 "Good night," he whispered, "I love you."

I felt hot tears burn in my eyes, "Sleep well, I-I love you too."

Yet, I was too exhausted to resist my eyes falling shut, allowing me to drift off to sleep.

A few hours later

I was torn out of my sleep from a shout coming from right beside me. Shooting up and fining the light switch I turned to where Shoto was lying, my heart pounding in my chest.

 "S-Shoto?" I gasped, "What's the matter?"

He was sitting upright, his face pale as a sheet, pearls of sweat forming on his face. Through the sharp, shallow breaths he was taking, he could hardly respond.

I jumped up and hurried to his side of the bed, sitting down next to him. I instantly realised what was going on, he was having a panic attack.

 "Alright," I said as steadily as I could, "I want you to try to breathe."

He nodded quickly, I could tell he was trying to breathe deeply, but he couldn't seem to stop the shallow gasps.

I carefully took his hands, "You're safe," he squeezed them tight as he nodded again.

 "I-I thought I'd never... I thought I'd become a villain," he gasped for air, "Am I a v-villain, (Y/N)?" tears were mixing with the sweat on his face, "Am I a villain?!"

I gently wrapped my arms around his body as he broke down, "No, no," I whispered, "You're not."

 "What is a hero?" his voice cracked as he hugged me back tightly, "If he's a hero? Do I want to be a hero? If he's a villain? Do I want to be a villain?"

 "What are you talking about?" I furrowed my brow, as I drew back and looked at him, "Whose a hero and whose a villain?"

He locked eyes with me, his breathing slowing down a little, "There's... There's a lot more you need to know about my family," he looked like was struggling to keep his eyes open.

My heart was beating like I had just run a mile, "R-Right now you need to get some rest," I gently let him fall back onto his pillow again, "I'm not going anywhere, tell me everything tomorrow."

 "You'll stay home?" he whispered, his eyes now barely open.

I took a deep breath, tears starting to form in my eyes, "Yes," I breathed back, "I'll stay right here," I watched as his eyes fell closed and felt his grip loosen around my hand.

I sat there for a while, thinking about what he had said. Of course I was burning to know what he was talking about, but I didn't want to put him through anything distressing in the state he was in. 

Yet I really did wonder, what other secrets are there about this family, whose house I'm currently in, that I am completely oblivious to?

a/n:
sorry for the filler chapter and horrendously late update. but i hope you'll enjoy the next chapter where thing's get a little bit more interesting... thank you so much for all the support and lovely comments, i'm so glad you're enjoying the story.
if you like my writing, i have a few more bnha fanfictions on my profile :)

lots of love!