chapter 62

I heard mumbling from the kitchen and ducked my head in to see Kreacher staring into the fireplace, seeming to have just finished a conversation.

"Kreacher?" The small elf jumped in surprise."Who were you talking to? Has something happened?"

"It's nothing, nothing at all" The elf replied. "Kreacher was only talking to himself."

"Are you sure?

"Yes. Kreacher is very sure." And then he promptly wandered off, a strange smile on his face. I couldn't help but shake the feeling that something was off, but then again Kreacher talking to himself was quite the common occurrence. 

I stepped back out of the kitchen and continued down the hall, looking for Sirius, I hadn't seen him since breakfast this morning. I made my way through the house eventually finding Sirius in the attic, feeding Buckbeak.

"I haven't seen much of you today" I said, steping into the room.

"Yeah I was up here sorting through a bunch of old stuff, it's worthless to me so I thought I could get rid of some of it." said Sirius, gesturing over to the boxes on the other side of the room. 

"I was just going to start on some dinner and I was thinking of inviting Tonks and Remus over."

"Sounds great" Sirius finished up with Buckbeak and we made our way downstairs.

Twenty minutes later Tonks, and Lupin were seated at the table while Sirius and I stood  at the stove. Sirius was recounting some crazy prank he pulled in school, with Remus adding details to the story every so often. 

"Remeber when you tried to prank Filch but almost got me instead?" I asked Sirius.

"That was a close one" Sirius grinned.

"When did that happen?" Remus asked.

This led to Sirius explaining that whole prank too.

"I though the pranks pulled in my school years were good, but yours put them to shame," said Tonks, sounding rather impressed. 

Sirius and I were just starting to set plates on the table when we heard a loud, frantic knocking on the door. I shared a confused look with Sirius before going to answer whoever was there.

I was surprised to find Mad-eye and Kingsley standing on the front steps. 

"Has something happened?" I asked.

"We need to be at the Department of mysteries as soon as possible, Harry is in danger." Moody said gravely.

"How on earth did he get to the Department of Mysteryies?" Asked Sirius, walking up behind me. 

"We'll explain later, this is urgent" Kingsley said, I could hear nervousness behind the man normally calm voice.

"Whats going on?" Tonks asked, joining the group along with Remus. I quickly recounted the information to them.

"I assume I'm staying behind again?" Sirius asked. "Because-"

"You're coming with," said Moody.

"What?" Sirius asked, sounding surprised. 

"No one else is available and I have a feeling we're going to be needing all the help we can get."

With that we rushed out the door, apparated with a large crack, and found ourselves standing outside the Ministry. 

I stepped through the front door and glanced around the main lobby. It was empty and dark save a few lights on the walls. There seemed to be some security checkpoint set up before us but Moody muttered a spell and we were able to rush past it with few problems.