chapter 31

"I just love when our dinner gets interrupted by death eaters," Marlene wiped blood off of her face. 

"Stupefy!" I yelled, aiming my wand into the group of death eaters. "Yeah, it's not exactly how I pictured the night going."

    I ducked as a burst of red light flew over my head. I heard someone yell out and glanced over, I saw someone on the ground, but I couldn't tell who it was in the dark. I turned back to the fight and saw a jet of green light just inches away from me, I felt someone grab my arm and pull me out of the way. I looked to see Remus next to me.

   "Holy shit," I breathed out "You just saved my life."

   "Thank me later, we need to focus on getting out of this" He muttered, releasing my arm and turning to send a jinx in the direction of the death eaters. 

   Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a death eater with streamers shooting out of their wand. James and Sirius were laughing uproariously. I was continuously impressed by their ability to find humor in anything.

"What the fuck." Remus commented on their actions with a small smirk.

"Who knows," I responded.  

   Things started to turn in our direction when I heard a large crack behind us. Three figures appeared out of the darkness, leaving us surrounded. I took slow steps backward and bumped right into Lily and Peter. I looked around to see the rest of my friend's grouping circle, our backs to each other.

"Well this is quite the group," I heard a maniacal laugh from the new arrivals. Bellatrix emerged from the shadows and approached us. "The muggle-borns, a werewolf, and a blood traitor."

   "You must be the newest Order members" The man's voice was icy and sent a chill down my spine. 

'Voldemort," Lily's voice came out as an exhale.

"What was that?" Bellatrix's smile was sickly as she gazed at Lily. 

"Nothing," Lily whispered, I watched James take a protective step in front of her. 

  "My Lord," Bellatrix said. "May I please have a moment alone with my blood traitor cousin?" The witch had kneeled at Voldemort's feet, practically begging him.

  "Apparate on three" Remus whispered in my ear, using the distraction Bellatrix had caused to our advantage. 

  "1" I heard Remus start counting, just loud enough for our circle to hear. "2," I tightened my grip on my wand. "3!" As we disapparated from the scene I heard Voldemort yell out in frustration. 

   The bright hallway of our apartment building was a stark contrast to the foggy street we had just left. The lights flickered slightly, and the only sound was our heavy breathing. I gasped when I saw blood pooling on the carpet.

"Holy shit James," Peter's wide eyes were trained on a large gash across James's stomach.

"James?" Lily looked like she had seen a ghost and she rushed to his side. 

   "Lily I'm fine" He insisted, before promptly passing out in her arms.

"Fuck." Sirius rushed over to his best friend.

Peter and Remus followed suit and the three of them deposited the unconscious James onto the couch in his flat. 

   Lily was stuck to his side and the minute the boys stepped away she went about cleaning the wound and casting healing spells.

"Hey Lils," I said. "Let me do it." Her hands were shaking and she was breathing so hard I thought we might have two unconscious people on our hands shortly.

"No." She insisted. "I'm doing it."

"Lily, you need to take a deep breath. I know all the same healing spells you do." I tried again.

"Maude." There was an edge in her voice. "I've got it."

Marlene grimaced at me as I gave up and stepped back. We all watched in silence as Lily's magic knitted James's skin back together. Marlene had my hand in a death grip, Peter looked nauseous, Remus was taking slow deep breaths and the look of worrying on Sirius's face physically hurt me.

   "We'll have to tell Dumbledore we saw him," I said, breaking the silence. I didn't have to specify who 'him' was, everyone knew. 

   "I'll send word to the order," Peter said, leaving the room to cast his Patronus and give it a message. Silence fell back over us as Lily finished her healing. 

  "Hey Lils, are you okay?" I asked softly, walking over to my friend. She just shook her head, tears filling her eyes.

"I'm sorry I got angry with you. It's just-" Her voice broke. "What if he dies Maude? We're getting married, he can't die. He can't die. He can't." She was sobbing.

  "Oh Lils," I sat down on the ground next to her and she leaned into my shoulder. "He's not going to die. Not tonight." 

"But-"

"You just need to take a few deep breaths." Marlene came over and sat on Lily's other side. "Go take a shower. Maude and I will sit with James."

Lily turned to her unconscious fiancee, pushed his hair off his face, and kissed his forehead. Then disappeared into the bathroom.

I left Marlene with James and walked over to Sirius who immediately pulled me into his arms.

  "Are you okay? We had quite the night." He whispered.

  "Yeah fine, what about you?" I know seeing Bellatrix had been harder for Sirius than he let on.

  "I'm fine too" 

  "Are you sure?"

  "Yeah Maude, I'm sure" We just sat there for a moment, enjoying the safety and comfort of each other's arms. I tilted my head up to his a gave him a soft kiss.

  "I can't leave Lily alone here tonight," I said. "I think I'll stay with her if that's okay?"

  "Of course it is, Lily could use you guys right now."

  "I love you," I say, as Sirius bends down and gives me another kiss.

  "I love you too."