chapter 36

"That will be all for tonight, thank you, everybody," Alastor Moody announced, bringing the order meeting to an end. 

I turned to Lily but James was already there, helping her up. Lily's due date was coming up and James had been at her side whenever he could be, even skipping out on missions to be with her. 

  "James I can stand up by myself" Lily protested, pushing his arms away. Lily being heavily pregnant and very hormonal often got annoyed with him, and I was impressed with his ability to stick with her.

  "I know you can Lils, I just wanted to help," James said throwing his hands up in defeat. Frank Longbottom laughed at the couple, as he was able to relate. Alice was also expecting a baby soon. It had seemed to be a theme recently, Molly Weasely had just given birth to her sixth boy.

  "Dinner at your place tonight, right Pads?" Remus asked.

  "Yeah," Sirius said.

  "Great I'm starving!" Peter said.

   "Well, let's get going then," I said.

 The moment we stepped outside the six of us disapparated, appearing in Sirius and I's living room. Lily immediately dropped down on the couch, James next to her. 

   "Wanna help me make dinner?" Sirius asked me.

   "Sure, but I can't promise you any of the food I make will be edible." Sirius laughed at me and we walked over to the kitchen as our four friends settled onto the couches.

   "Okay, I was thinking tacos, want to start cutting the vegetables?"

   "Is that all you trust me to do?" I asked, laughing.

   "Yes, yes it is," Sirius deadpanned. I elbowed him in the stomach but moved over to the cutting board.

 About twenty minutes later the food was ready and we were seated around our dining table James poured generous glasses of wine for everyone, except for Lily, who got decaf tea. I felt comfortably happy as my friend's voices fluttered around me and the sky slowly went dark.

  "Thanks for the food guys, I think we're going to head out," James said about an hour later. He turned around to help Lily up, and this time she was much more grateful for the help.

  "Holy shit" Lily gasped.

  "Uh, Lily did you just pee your pants?" Peter asked, his face going slightly red.

  "Oh my god Lils, are you okay?" James said frantically. Remus shook his head at the two boys.

  "I think her water broke" Remus explained.

"Yeah, no shit" Lily said glaring at Peter and James.

  "Holy fuck, we need to go!" James exclaimed, looking worriedly at his wife. And before we knew it we were apparating out of our apartment.

•••

   Sirius, Peter, Remus, and I were all slumped in chairs in the hospital waiting room. Lily and James had picked a muggle hospital to stay under Voldemort's radar. We had been waiting for about an hour and it seemed like we might be around for a while longer. About every thirty minutes or so James would pop out and give us an update, looking more harried every time he emerged.

  "I can hardly believe it, Prongs is going to be a dad." Remus mused, laughing slightly.

  "Hopefully the kid takes after Lily, or better yet me!' Sirius said. "We don't need a mini James running around.

  "A mini James would be better than a mini Sirius!" Peter joked. Sirius shoved Peter playfully and leaned over to whisper in my ear.

  "I think a mini-me would be quite cute," Sirius protested.