chapter 22

Christmas break was getting closer with every tick of the clock. I was sitting in Transfiguration class, and feeling anxious to be done when the door banged open. McGonagall stopped mid-sentence and immediately glared up at the four boys who had appeared in the doorway. Sirius winked, Remus was smiling sheepishly, James was grinning, and Peter's face was slightly red.

"Minnie!" James greeted our teacher. McGonagall sighed deeply, but she didn't even try to correct James.

"Shouldn't the four of you be in class?" She asked shrewdly.

"We came to wish our favorite Professor a Merry Christmas," Sirius grinned.

And before McGonagall had the chance to respond, Peter moved his arms as though he was conducting an opera and the four boys broke out into loud, rambunctious singing.

"We wish you a Merry Christmas! We wish you a Merry Christmas! We wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year!" Before long most of the class was singing along and I'm sure people in the hallway could hear us. When we finished the song I could tell McGonagall was trying not to laugh. The class burst into applause and the Marauders bowed dramatically.

"Thank you, you're all too kind" Remus smirked.

"Oh stop,"  said Peter. "You flatter us!"

"Alright settle down everyone. You four, please return to your classes." McGonagall sounded stern, but there was a small smile on her face as she shooed the boys out. The Christmas spirit must have really gotten to her.

A shower of green and red confetti showered the class and I saw James hastily tuck his wand away.

"Mr. Potter!" McGonagall exclaimed.

"I'm sorry!" He grinned.

"No, you're not Prongs!" Remus laughed.

"Yeah, he's definitely not," Sirius agreed.

"Boys. Your classes." McGonagall insisted.

"Wait, Minnie! One more thing." Sirius pulled a small wrapped box out of his bag and handed it to the older witch with a flourish.

"Thank you, Mr. Black. Now you really must be going," she took the small box and set it on her desk. On the way out the door Sirius scooped some confetti off the ground and I was covered in my own personal confetti shower. If I didn't think McGonagall was at the end of her leniency I would have retaliated, but instead I stuck my tongue out at him.

When the door shut behind the Marauders I could faintly hear them erupt into laughter.

As the class settled back down I watched McGonagall open the small parcel from Sirius. When she pulled the top off another burst of confetti popped out. She must have liked whatever was in it because she smiled down at it and then tucked the box into her desk.

•••

Lily threw up her hands in frustration. Hogsmeade was bustling around us, and I could faintly hear Christmas carols echoing in the distance.

"I should've gone shopping months ago" She exclaimed. "I have no clue what I'm going to get James. I've never been this behind on presents before. I mean-"

"I think you need to take a few deep breaths," Marlene poked her in the side, but Lily just swatted her hand away.

"Lils, I think he'll like anything you get him, don't worry about it," I said, trying to get the red-headed witch to calm down.

"Maude, what did you get Sirius?" Lily asked.

"It's a surprise!" I responded. "Just get James something to do with quidditch, and he'll love it, or anything from Zonkos or Honeydukes would be perfect as well. Anyways I think James would love anything that you gave him," I reassured her.