chapter 56

When I woke up in the morning Sirius had already gotten out of bed. That was strange, in all my years of knowing him Sirius was always the last one out of bed, but then again in all my years of knowing him, we had never gone to bed angry at each other.

I slipped out of bed and made my way downstairs, not bothering to change out of my pajamas since everyone had left yesterday.

I was quite surprised when I walked into the kitchen to find Sirius making breakfast.

"I made you eggs," He said to me, pointing towards a plate of steaming food on the table. I didn't move from where I was standing in the doorway, staring at him. "Why are you looking at me like that?" He turned his focus away from the stove and to me.

"Are you just going to act like we weren't practically yelling at each other yesterday?" I asked, feeling very confused. The minute the words left my mouth I felt a shift in the room. Sirius didn't answer so I continued speaking. "Sirius I know your sick of being here all the time but that doesn't-"

"No."

"What?"

"You don't know how I feel. You didn't spend 12 years locked up in Azkaban. You're free to go wherever you want, and I'm stuck here, locked up all over again." With that he stormed out of the kitchen, leaving me with a burning pan of sausage and a pan of lukewarm eggs.

I used my wand to send the sausages flying into the trash can, and plopped down in a chair, resting my head in my hands.

What a great start to the day.

Sirius spent most of the day in the attic with Buckbeak, and I spent most of it on the first floor. I had done pretty much nothing except sit on the couch and read a book.

At around 5 pm there was a knock at the door and I opened it to reveal Tonks and Lupin standing on the front steps.

"Hi guys" I greeted them, feeling a little confused as to why they had shown.

"Maude!" Tonks greeted me happily.

"We were just in the neighborhood and thought we'd stop by to say hi" Remus explained.

"You were together?" I asked, giving Remus a knowing look.

"Yes," Remus said, giving me a look that clearly said: drop it.

"We were running an errand for Dumbledore" Tonks offered.

"Well come on in" I stepped aside. "I was just about to start making dinner, you guys are welcome to stay for that."

"Oh, we wouldn't want to intrude" Tonks exclaimed.

"You won't be intruding" I assured her, knowing that having dinner with them would be much better than eating in silence with a grumpy Sirius.

"You're sure?" Remus asked.

"Yes."

"Hey, where Sirius?" Tonks asked, glancing around.

"Oh, he's upstairs with Buckbeak," I said inclining my head towards the stairs. "Actually, you wouldn't mind grabbing him would you?" I asked the younger witch.

"Yeah, no problem," She said darting up the stairs.

"So you spent the day with Tonks?" I asked, turning to look at Remus.

"I did"

"And?"

"And nothing." Remus deadpanned. "Maude I promise there's nothing going on there, and besides, and even if there were feelings there, she would never return them."