chapter 43

I woke and pushed myself out of bed. For approximately 30 seconds everything felt completely normal and then the events of last night came rushing back. And along with the memories came a pounding headache, I had only managed to get about three hours of sleep. It felt weird going about my life like everything was normal when it most definitely wasn't, but it didn't seem like I had much of a choice. I quickly fixed myself breakfast and then headed downstairs to open the store.

When I entered the first floor I was surprised by the sight of Remus Lupin sitting behind my desk.

"Someone left you a note," Remus said pointing to a slip of paper. 

"Good morning to you too," I reached for the piece of parchment.

 have found a secluded cave near the shrieking shack, not optimal, but works, tell moon. please excuse handwriting, haven't used a quill in years. - Padfoot

When I finished reading the note I passed it to Remus, who read it quickly.

"So this must mean you spoke to him last night." He said.

"Yeah, I did."

"Do you believe him?"

"Yes," I said quietly.

"I do too."

"No one else will."

"That's the problem." Remus sighed, resting his head in his hands. I moved behind the desk and dropped down in a seat next to him. "Are you okay with all this?" He asked quietly.

"I don't know. Are you?" I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"Not really."

I laughed, then sighed. "It's just so weird, last night after he told me everything I hardly knew how to act around him. Almost like he was a stranger. It felt horrible."

"Figuring all of this out isn't going to be easy."

"No, no it isn't" I muttered. "Aren't you supposed to be teaching right now?" I asked glancing up at the clock.

"Probably," He grumbled. He didn't leave though, and I had never been more grateful for him. 

"Remus?"

"Mhm?"

"Thank you," I told him.

"For what?"

"Being such a good friend."

"Nobody else puts up with me," He elbowed me in the side.

"Oh, shut up."

"You're welcome," He said. "And honestly, I don't know what I would do without you."

"Rot away in your house probably." 

"And you wouldn't?"

"I do anyways," I laughed, but it wasn't really funny. 

"I should go," Remus sighed. "Any longer and I'll get fired, then you'd see some true rotting."

"Tell Harry I say hi," I told him as he left the shop.

I sat back in my chair and watched the second hand move on the clock. It was Wednesday, which meant it was the slowest day of the week. Some weeks no would come in at all. I spent about an hour re-organizing bookshelves and then another hour dusting every surface I could reach. By noon no one had come in yet so I decided to close early. As I closed up the cash register I spotted Sirius's note still on the counter.

Half an hour later I was hiking up the hill to the Shrieking Shack with a bag full of blankets and food. I could've just apparated to the top but I needed the walk to collect my thoughts and to steel myself for the pain of seeing him again. The fifteen minute walk passed too quickly for my liking, a storm of anxiety, sadness and excitement was brewing in my stomach as I reached the cave.