chapter 51

"Hello?" A voice echoed through the halls of Grimmauld place.

  "Moony is that you?" Sirius called back from his spot on the couch.

   A couple of seconds later Remus entered the living. Sirius and I got up, both embracing our friend.

  "How are you?" I asked, with everything that had been going on recently we hadn't seen Remus in a while.

  "I'm fine considering everything," Remus said as we returned to the couches.

  "Yeah same with us" Our conversation was interrupted by a series of knocks at the door.

  "That would be the rest of the order," I murmured, getting up to let them in. 

  As I walked past Sirius's mother's portrait I did my best to tread lightly, not wanting to disturb her again. I let out a sigh of relief when I passed. In the last few weeks I had gotten used to the house, but Walburga's portrait still scared me.

  I reached the door and pulled it open to reveal nine people squished on the doorstep.

 "Maude how lovely to see you!" Molly exclaimed, wrapping me in a hug and entering the house, followed by her husband and four of her kids. Next came Alastor Moody and a younger woman I didn't recognize. The final person to enter was Dumbledore himself, and the minute he entered he turned around and cast some sort of protective spell on the door.

  "We've decided to hold the meeting in the kitchen!" I called, hoping the Weaselys's could lead the group there. I was just about to follow them down the hall when Dumbledore put his hand on my shoulder.

  "Maude, could we have a word?"

 "Yeah of course. Is something wrong?"

 "No, no nothing like that" He assured me. "I wanted to speak with you about Sirius."

 "Oh"

 "I know you two have each other but I'm sure he's feeling rather stuck in this house with nowhere to go."

  "Yes, he's definitely struggling with that a bit," I said, feeling a bit confused about where Dumbledore was going with this.

  "I spoke with Molly and we thought that having more people around would help. The Weasleys are planning on staying here at least until school starts up again if that's fine with Sirius and you of course. Doing this will also help to keep them safe."

  "That would be fine, there's plenty of room here. We should check with Sirius though." 

  "Well, that's settled then." And before I could get another word in Dumbledore turned and made his way to the kitchen.

  I made my way into the kitchen where Molly seemed to be having an argument with her children.

  "But Mum-" Ron was saying.

  "That's final! You four will not be attending these meetings" 

  "Fred and I will be of age in just a couple of months! We can handle it!" George protested.

  Molly ignored her children's protesting a ushered them out the door, shutting it behind them.

  "I'm sorry about that everyone," Molly said, moving to sit down. We all followed her example and I found myself sitting between Remus and Sirius, the latter of the two grabbing my hand under the table.

   The meeting passed in a blur of introduction and formalities. I learned that the woman I didn't know was Nymphadora Tonks, an Auror, and Sirius's cousin. Towards the end, Dumbledore cast a series of protective enchantments on the house and made himself secret keeper. The last thing we decided was to bring Harry to Grimmauld place as soon as possible.

•••

  Everyone but the Weasleys had left the house, they had taken over the 2nd and 3rd floors, leaving the 4th for Sirius and I. 

  I was currently in the attic tending to Buckbeak. Sirius had left Buckbeak in the cave near the Shrieking Shack when he was staying at my place, but when we came here he transferred him to the attic. I finished filling his water bowl and made my way back to the 4th floor looking for Sirius. 

  I poked my head into his room, where we had been staying. It was exactly how he had left it as a teenager and he couldn't seem to bring himself to take the posters and what-not down. There was no sign of him here, so I went back into the hall.

  There were only two other rooms on this floor, a bathroom and Regulus's room. Reg's room was the only room that hadn't been touched since we had been here, and I knew it would stay that way.

  That left only the bathroom, and honestly, I don't know why I didn't check there first, the door was half open and light was spilling out.

  "Sirius? Can I come in?" I asked.

  "Yeah."

  I walked in to find him standing in front of the mirror with a pair of scissors in his hands.

 "Are you trying to cut your own hair?" I asked, laughing.

 "Yes. It's gotten way too long." He looked over at me. "Why are you laughing?"

 "Nothing. Just let me do it." I took the scissors from his hands and moved behind him. His hair had gotten quite long, maybe 4 or 5 inches below his shoulders. "How short do you want it?" 

 "Maybe just above my shoulders? Like how I used to wear it." I nodded and went to work.

 Because he was taller than me I had to stand on my tip-toes to get a good angle with the scissors. My fingers brushed his neck as I snipped off the bottom few inches of his hair.

  "There! All done!" I brushed the loose hair off his shoulders and used my wand to clean it up.

  Sirius turned to look at me and I was struck by how much younger he looked, how much he looked like his old self.

  "So how do I look?" He asked, smirking slightly.

 "Great," I said, running my fingers through his hair.

 "I think I should just make you my personal hairstylist. Remember in 6th year when you put my hair in a ponytail?"

   "That was a good look on you." I smiled at the memory.

  "Everythings a good look on me" He grinned.

  "Hmm getting a little cocky are we?"

  "Maybe"

  He bent down and kissed me. I smile against his lips and pulled our bodies together. Even with the threat of another war I couldn't help but feel so incredibly happy. Being in his arms always made me feel that way.

recently i learned that cannonly sirius didn't have long hair before azkaban and i refuse to accept that

also I've gained almost 1500 new reads in just a day which is CRAZY and I'm currently #1 in #fanfic & #fanfiction which i can't even process! thank you all for reading my story, voting and leaving comments! 

anna<3