chapter 11

My reflection stared back at me int mirror. My dark brown fell around my face in soft curls and Lily had put something glittery on my eyelids that made my eyes pop. I looked down at my dress. Sirius had been right, the blue dress was perfect an I felt a bit like a princess. I turned to look at Marlene and Lily who were just adding finishing touches to their makeup and hair. 

    There was a quick flash of light and I heard the snap of a shutter.

   "Sorry Maude, I'm not sure that photo will turn out very well," Lily revealed a small muggle camera.

    "Take one of me," Marlene posed dramatically,

  "3 . . . 2 . . ." Lily started to countdown. On '1' I jumped behind Marlene and stuck out my tongue.

   "Hey!" She exclaimed just as the camera clicked. 

  Lily shook her head and smiled, "We'll use up all the film at this rate." 

 "I still don't fully understand your guys's fascination with taking stationary photos," Marlene laughed.

   I heard the clock chime faintly in common room followed by a voice I recognized as James, shouting at us to hurry up.

Sirius's POV:

    I watched Maude walk down from her dorm, not able to take my eyes off her. She had worn the blue dress and she looked fucking amazing. I mentally kicked myself for not asking her to the dance, but then again maybe it was for the better.

    When the girls reached our little group they moved to stand near their respective dates. I looked over to see Gideon looking rather awkward among our close-knit group of friends. I knew it shouldn't, but his discomfort made me feel a little better.

Maude's POV:

    "You look nice," Gideon said shyly.

    "Thanks," I smiled.

    I heard a cough and looked over to Sirius who was giving Gideon an odd look. In fact, he had been acting odd ever since he was in my dorm the other day. I wasn't given much time to think about it, because Lily had taken her camera back out and was trying to organize us for a group photo. 

    After Lily snapped her photos we made our way out the portrait hole and followed the crowd flowing down the stairs and into the Great Hall.

    I looked around the large room, taking it all in. The tables had been pushed aside to make a dance floor and pink and white roses adorned the walls. Students were milling around the room, and gathered around the tables.

    "Hey, you want to go get some butterbeer?" Gideon asked me, after a few dances.

    "Sure," I replied.

    As we maneuvered our way off the dance floor, Gideon headed to get drinks and I went to find a table.

    A slow song started to play and I stared out at the dance floor watching the happy couples dancing. There was Frank and Alice, on the opposite side of the room were Marlene and Jess, and James and Lily were front and center.

    My eyes landed on Sirius, he was dancing with some Ravenclaw girl, and I hate to admit it, but they looked amazing together. I tried my best to ignore them, because I knew that spending the whole night thinking about it would ruin the ball.

    All of a sudden Gideon came running back up to me. He looked flustered and was breathing rather heavily.

    "Oh Maude I'm so terribly sorry, but Fabian is having some sort of crisis over there and I really need to help him." To his benefit, Gideon did look sorry.

    "It's okay," I said, not quite sure how I should react to this. Gideon seemed to think my answer sufficed and rushed back off to wherever he had come from.

    I turned my gaze back to the dance floor with a sigh. It's not like I had a thing Gideon, but I was still rather upset that I no longer had a dance partner. Normally in this situation, I would seek out Peter or Remus, but they both had dates tonight. I was thinking I may just leave when Sirius sat down in the seat next to me.

    "Where'd Gideon go?" he asked.

    "Fabian was having some sort of crisis and he was needed," I muttered.

    "Well does that mean your free for a dance?" he held out his hand to me. I was about to take it when the Ravenclaw girl he was dancing with before showed up.

    "Come on! I want to dance!" she had a high pretty voice and I was rather annoyed by the fact that I couldn't find a reason to dislike her other than the fact she was dancing with Sirius.

    "Oh well, actua-" Sirius started to say. But the girl pulled him to the dance floor without letting him finish. He looked back at me, but I didn't meet his gaze.

    I could feel tears pooling in my eyes, and I didn't want to cry in front of all these people, so I left my chair and exited the hall. I could feel the tears streaming down my face and didn't bother to try to stop them.

    I had just turned a corner when I heard someone calling my name. It was Sirius. I didn't feel like talking to anyone, let alone him, so I pretended not to hear him.

    "Maude! Hey, wait up!" I heard his footsteps speed up and all of a sudden his hand was on my arm. He pulled me around so I was facing him. I quickly wiped my eyes, trying to hide the fact that I was crying, though I knew it didn't help much. "What's wrong?" he asked, sounding genuinely concerned.

    I didn't answer.

    "I'm sorry about Grace, I wanted to dance with you . . ."

     "Did you?" I asked, a touch of frustration in my tone.

     "Yes," he sighed.

    "How was I even supposed to know that?" I wiped my face, but it was in vain, I could feel that my eyes were already red and puffy.

"When I came to your dorm I was- I was gonna ask you, but maybe it's for the better..."

    "What do you mean it's better?" I was starting to feel angry. "I wanted to dance with you too. I waited until a week before the dance until I found a date. I was waiting for YOU. But I waited so long, and I couldn't wait forever."

     I felt stupid and dramatic but I couldn't help it.

    "I truly wanted to ask you, but I-" he looked like he was at a loss for words. "You deserve so much better than me. I'm reckless, and I spend all my time messing around, and my- my past and family, I just.- you need someone so much better than me." 

    "Sirius."

    "I should go," he muttered. 

    "Don't."

   "See you tomorrow Maude." 

    He walked away I slid down onto the ground, in just two hours I'd been ditched by my date and my chances with Sirius had fallen apart. 

    Really a great night if you asked me.