chapter 3

I walked over to Remus and collapsed in a chair next to him.

    "It's only been an only week, how could we possibly have this much work?" I groaned as Remus looked up from his work amused. "And I have to get ready for quidditch trials, ugh, I'll never get it all done."

    "And with James as captain, you'll probably have practice three times a day," Remus joked.

    I glared at him.

    "Not helping."

   "He hasn't talked about anything but the trials for days," Remus told me. "I'm as excited as him at this point, but only because I don't want to hear another word about."

    "I love quidditch, but James has something special going on there."

    "That's for sure," Remus laughed.

     I pulled out my books and a sheet of bare parchment, dreading writing the essay that Slughorn had assigned earlier this morning.

    Just a few minutes later I spotted Sirius making his way towards Remus and I.

   "Oh look, my two favorite people!" he said grinning like a maniac.

    "Sirius if you want something just ask," I said to him, "Because we all know James is your favorite."

    "Ok fine," He admitted. "Second Favorites. Anyways I'm very bored and I thought you two lovely people could entertain me."

    "Unlike you Pads, we actually put effort into our schoolwork," Remus said, poking Sirius with the end of his quill.

    "Don't make me beg for it, I'm not a dog" Sirius responded with a crooked smile. Remus seemed to find this statement amusing and laughed. I looked back and forth between the two, not quite sure what was so funny.

    "Okay, okay," Remus said after he recovered. "So what are we doing?"

    I sighed and followed them out of the library. My essay was definitely less interesting than whatever Sirius had planned.

•••

    On the morning of quidditch tryouts James is practically bouncing up and down. I'm not quite sure if it's out of excitement or nervousness. It's probably both, seeing as it is his first year as the team captain.

    I can't blame him, I'm feeling the nerves as well. Though I'm feeling secure in my ability to secure a spot but, you never know what could happen in quidditch, especially with James running tryouts. I ate a few bites of toast, and had a swig of pumpkin juice but it was all I could stomach.

    James pushed himself up from the table and I followed suit. Peter, Remus, Lily, and Marlene headed to the library to  catch up on homework, but Sirius followed us outside. 

    "Great day for quidditch trials, huh?" Sirius asked, slinging his arms around James and I's shoulders.

    Thunder rumbled in the distance and grey clouds were rolling in.

    "Yeah, beautiful weather," James agreed. 

    "Oh shut up," I muttered.

     "Good luck out there," Sirius told me. Then as he walked towards the stands, and James and I towards the team I heard him yell: "Go get 'em cap!"

    James hollered something indecipherable in response.

    By the time everyone trying out was ready to go I felt like I might throw up in mid-air. Thankfully not many people showed up to watch, just my friends and a couple of other students.

    "Welcome to quidditch trials, everyone!" James shouted. "Let's all start with a couple of laps around the field."

   I took a deep breath, mounted my broom, kicked off, and soared into the clear morning sky.

   I felt immediately more calm as I took my first few laps, and I readjusted after spending the summer away from the sport. The second years endured a bit of teasing from older team members, but other than that everyone was talking and laughing, just as glad as me to be back on their brooms. As we started playing in earnest Sirius took it upon himself to cheer like he was at the world cup, and not just Gryffindor tryouts.

•••

    By the end of quidditch, I was ready to strangle James, and I might've if I wasn't so tired.

    There were many sighs of relief and a few tears as James announced the team. Only one second year made it, the rest of the team stayed the same as years prior.

    When we were all ready to go have a good shower James announced that we would be having practice for another hour and a half. There was a collective groan as we all re-mounted our brooms.

    Now I'm lying half asleep on a couch in the common room with the rest of my teammates, except for James. He's off making some insane training plan, which will probably fuel my wanting to strangle him even more. 

    I closed my eyes about to drift off when I heard the portrait hole open.

    "Oi Collins, you look amazing!" I opened my eyes to see Sirius standing above me with a large smile on his face.

    "Oh I know, but I would really appreciate it if you just let me take a nap," I mumbled, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't understand anything I just said, but he seemed to get the gist of it.

    "Urgh your no fun," he said sounding vaguely annoyed, but I chose to ignore this and pretended to be asleep. "I know you're not actually asleep Maude," he said rather loudly.

    Some of my teammates grumbled at him to go away, and he finally gave up. 

hello everyone!
sorry this chapter was pretty short, but I promise things will be picking up soon
please vote and comment <3