chapter 53

We were all quite relieved when all charges were erased from Harry's record and he was invited back to school.  About a week had passed since then and soon the kids would be returning to Hogwarts.

  "Hey look what came!" Ginny called out, walking into the kitchen holding a stack of Hogwarts letters. She passed them out to her brothers and friends.

  As the kids started to open their letters Sirius wandered into the kitchen and sat down next to me.

"Wow, it's already time for Hogwarts letters?" He asked, sounding surprised. "I thought they still had a week or two."

"School starts in 2 weeks, I think the letters seem late," I remarked. Our conversation was interrupted by Hermione.

"I've been chosen as a Prefect!" She announced, grinning.

"That's great 'Mione!" Harry exclaimed.

"I'm sure you've been chosen as the other Prefect Harry, go on open your letter!" Hermione nudged him.

  Harry was about to open his letter when a large shiny badge fell out of Ron's. Both Hermione and Harry looked over to him, gaping.

  "Who would've thought?" Sirius whispered in my ear, snickering slightly.

  "Not me" I whispered back.

  When Molly realized what had happened she rushed over to Ron giving him a hug and saying something about everyone in the family being prefects, which earned her a snarky comment from Fred and George.

  As I watched the Weasleys at that moment I wondered how life would have been different if Sirius and I weren't apart for long.

  "Sirius?"

  "Mhm?"

  "Do you think, if we hadn't been apart, would we have had kids? Started a family?"

"I'm not sure, why?" He said, turning his attention away from the Weasleys.

"I just- We talked about it maybe once and then everything happened, I just wonder what it would have been like"

"I mean I definitely wanted kids, especially after Harry was born, but we never really got the chance."

  "I did too, I mean I still do. But it seems like we might have another war on our hands and I just-" I cut myself off not knowing what else to say.

  Sirius was about to say something when Molly cut him off.

  "We're heading to Diagon Alley! Do either of you need anything?" She looked at us.

  "Food for Buckbeak?" Sirius asked.

  "Got it, what about you Maude?"

  "I don't need anything, thanks though"

  "Well, then we'll be going!" Molly and the 6 kids rushed out the door, leaving Sirius and I alone.

I glanced over at him.

"Sorry, um what were you saying before?" I asked.

"Maude I'm not saying we shouldn't wait, but we were waiting till after the war to get married and then-"

"I know," I said softly. I reached up and touched the necklace hanging around my neck, my fingers lingering on the ring. Sirius's eyes followed my fingers and a smile spread across his face.

  "Maude, can I see your necklace?" I reached behind my neck and unclasped it, handing it to Sirius.

  He slid the ring off the chain and set the necklace on the table in between us.

"I remember being nervous as hell to propose to you. James and Remus talked me up for days beforehand."

"Really?"

"Really" Sirius laughed a little bit. "We've done a lot of waiting Maude, I don't want to wait any longer."

  "Are you re-proposing to me?" I grinned at him.

  "Yes," He returned my grin.

  "So? Marry me?"

  "Of course" He slipped the ring onto my finger where it belonged.

  His lips crashed into mine, it wasn't a perfect moment, but it was ours.

We broke apart, smiling at each other, I felt happier than I had in a while.

  "Sirius?"

  "Yeah?"

  "I want to get married sooner rather than later. And I want Harry to be there. And maybe Remus could officiate it as he did for James and Lily."

  "That sounds perfect"

•••

Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys were gone for most of the day so Sirius and I had the house to ourselves.

We spent most of it just curled up together on the couch enjoying each others presence. Around noon Sirius cooked the most elaborate meal he'd ever made, laughing the whole time.

After that Sirius transformed into his animgai form and we slipped out the front door for a walk. It was risky, but neither of us had been outside of the house in days and it felt good. I got a few odd looks from people walking down the street, probably because I was walking a huge dog without a leash, but we ignored them.

We made it back to Grimmauld place about twenty minutes before everyone else returned home.

"We're back!" Called Molly, pushing her way through the front door, arms full of bags. The kids filed in behind her, laughing and chattering away.

Sirius's POV:

Harry and his friends collapsed in the living room talking and joking about who knows what. Molly and Arthur were in the kitchen fussing about, while Tonks and Remus would be here any moment for dinner. Maude was seated next to me, leaning her head on my shoulder, and for the first time in my life, Grimmauld Place felt like a home.

sorry, i know this one is short, i didn't have much planned for the chapter but i just wanted to get it out!
aside from that, this morning i was at 3k reads and now i'm at 7k with is unbelievable, that's so cool, thank you all for reading!
xx anna