chapter 48

I woke up wrapped tightly in Sirius's arms. At some point last night we had stumbled into my room and fell asleep. Our legs were tangled together and Sirius was still fast asleep. It struck me that it was the first time I had woken up with him in 13 years. A feeling of happiness washed over me.

   I looked up at him, even asleep he looked exhausted, he probably hadn't gotten a full night of rest for months. I carefully untangled myself from him and got out of bed, careful not to wake him. I grabbed the first shirt I found (which happened to be his) and pulled it over my head.

   I slipped into the kitchen and put on a pot of coffee. About twenty minutes later a shirtless and half-asleep Sirius wandered into the kitchen.

  "Morning," He said, his voice scratchy and low from sleep. He leaned over the kitchen table and pressed a kiss to my forehead. 

  "Hey," I said smiling at him.

  "Did you make any food yet?"

  "No, but there's coffee." I gestured towards the steaming pot on the counter.

  "Good, I want to cook." A large smile spread across his face and he set about making breakfast. Before everything, he loved to cook, and it hit me as I sat there watching him, he probably hadn't cooked a full meal for almost thirteen years.

  To be honest I've never understood how he stays so positive he's been through ten times more than I have but he can always manage to put a smile on someone's face. I love him for it.

  "Why are you looking at me like that?" He turned around, smirking at me.

  "I'm just enjoying not having to cook for once" I muttered sarcastically.

  "Here I thought you were admiring how good I look without a shirt on." His smirk turned into a full-blown grin. 

  "Hm that too"

   We spent the morning ignoring all the things we should probably be talking about. Enjoying the normalcy of all of it, even if it was fake.

  There was a sudden loud tapping at the window and I turned to see a large white owl hovering outside the window, it was Hedwig, Harry's owl.

  I got up from my place at the table and let Harry's owl in. Hedwig immediately flew over to where Sirius was sitting and dropped a letter on his lap.

  "What's Harry writing to you about?" I asked.

  "It's a last-ditch effort to convince me not to come back here," Sirius said looking up from the letter.

  "Here, can I see it?" Sirius held it out and I took the paper, scribbling a quick note onto it.

Harry, Sirius is here with me, he's safe. I'm sure he'd love to see you, come whenever you can

  Knowing Harry he'd find some way to be here as soon as possible, even if it meant sneaking out of the castle with his father's invisibility cloak. I handed the note to Hedwig who soared back out the open window.

  "I told him to come over," I told Sirius, turning back to look at him. "Which means I need to put on pants."

  Sirius grinned and we both slipped into my bedroom to get fully dressed.

  Around 1'o clock there was a loud knock on the door.

 "Come in!" I called, Harry didn't hesitate and the door swung open.

 "Sirius you shouldn't be here" Harry skipped the greetings, his eyes landing immediately on his godfather. 

  "I couldn't hide forever Harry," Sirius said, stepping closer to him. Harry muttered something that sounded like 'I know", but it seemed like he had similar feelings about the situation as I did and he wrapped Sirius in a hug. Harry pulled away and the two of them joined me at the kitchen table.

  "Why did you even come back?" Harry asked. "I didn't think telling you my scar hurt would make you rush back here."

  "Harry we all know your scar hurting isn't a good thing."

•••

   Sirius let out a loud sigh, Harry had just returned to the castle after Sirius bombarded him with questions. 

  "I know it sounds stupid but I just wish we had a normal life," I muttered.

  "Me too" Sirius looked over at me. "I should probably get going, it's getting late."

  "What do you mean 'get going'?" 

  "Maude you know I can't stay here. We went over this last time, it puts you in danger."

 "You stayed here just fine last night!" I exclaimed.

  "Maude-"

  "Sirius people hardly ever come into the bookstore nowadays, let alone the apartment. Whenever you leave you can be in your Animagus form, it will be fine."

  But I-"

 "No! I'm not letting you sleep in a cave for the next couple of months." 

 "Fine, but we have to be careful."

 "I promise we will be." 

 "Our life is completely and utterly fucked up," Sirius said, pushing himself up from the table and running his hands through his hair.

  "It really is"