Chapter 23

The Master of Psychic Pokémon

I took a small trip back to the casino and got Kaen a new attack: Shadow Ball. It was perfect for the gym we were going against, but we couldn't underestimate Sabrina. Her psychic attacks would be hard for my Pokémon to avoid, but I won't give up so easily.

I couldn't decide which Pokémon I would put upfront either, but in the end, I decided that Kaen would be a perfect choice.

I gulped as we approached the gym where Sabrina was the leader. I sighed and read the sign:

Saffron City Pokémon Gym
Leader: Sabrina
The Master of Psychic Pokémon

I slapped my cheeks and marched into the gym. I glanced around, but the room was empty except for a strange-looking tile at the end of the room. I did not want to go near that tile, but it didn't look like there was any other way out of the room.

I quietly sobbed to myself and sulked my way over to the glowing blue tile. I stepped on the tile and shut my eyes tightly, hoping that I wouldn't explode. Nothing happened. It didn't even look like I had changed rooms, not until I saw her at least.

She looked to be in her late teens, but perhaps even in her early twenties. Her hair was long and navy blue, beautiful. She looked at me as if I were nothing but a mere bug that needed to be squished.

"I had a vision of your arrival." She spoke in a monotone voice, I couldn't tell if she were excited or angry that I had come.

I chuckled, trying to get rid of the awkward atmosphere. "Really? That's amazing..."

She levitated from her seat and placed herself in a position for battle. "I've had psychic powers ever since I was a child. It started with a spoon that I had bent."

"I tried that once, but I wasn't able to... I'm not cool like you." I replied, remembering an embarrassing moment in my life.

Sabrina didn't even chuckle, instead, she moved a pokéball in front of her. "I dislike battling, but if you wish, I will show you my powers!"

I threw out Kaen after Sabrina finished her monologue. She sent out a Kadabra, a yellow humanoid Pokémon with a red star on its forehead and two long whiskers that resembled a mustache. It held a bent spoon in its claw-like hands, proving that it was indeed a psychic type.

"Future Sight," Sabrina said.

Kadabra's eyes began glowing a bright blue, Kaen was bracing himself for anything Kadabra would throw at him. However, nothing happened.

I face-palmed since the attack was called Future Sight, which means the attack will come soon unless I manage to defeat Sabrina before the designated time.

"Shadow Ball!" I shouted.

Kaen opened his mouth and his shadow started moving in unusual directions. My shadow was too, along with both Sabrina and Kadabra. Our shadows were moving towards the dark sphere that kept growing near Kaen's mouth.

"Cool... it's absorbing the shadow and creating an even stronger attack." I mumbled.

Kaen shot the large sphere directly at Kadabra, and the sphere consumed poor Kadabra in total darkness. I heard a faint scream of horror, but then the dark shadow disappeared and left Kadabra on the floor.