Chapter 3

Starting Out

Green let out a loud laugh. "You picked the WORST one! I'm going with this guy!"

He picked the one farthest from mine and greedily threw it in the air.

"Char!" Squeaked the orange lizard.

My eyebrows burrowed since he chose the starter that was strong against mine. Charmander buried his face in Green's chest and sneezed.

Green frowned; I giggled. "He and I will kick your butt when the time comes!"

I threw my pokéball up and caught my green grass type. It's giant red eyes filled me with a sense of love, like a puppy when you bring it home.

"Haru won't fall be beaten by the likes of you," I replied back, hugging him tightly.

"Haru? Is that its nickname?" Professor Oak interjected before the situation would grow out of hand.

I smiled at Haru, who beamed at me with his bright scarlet eyes. "Yes! I've thought about for years!"

"That's nice, Alyssa." He turned to Green. "Are you going to give your Pokémon a nickname?"

Green snickered. "That's childish, Gramps. No way."

His Charmander frowned but showed Green a toothy grin.

"Well, I'll be on my way into the next town." Green proudly announced, "Alyssa, I hope you can catch up to me in time to see me beat the first gym leader!"

Before I could say anything in return he took off, dashing away into the tall grass. I frowned and growled.

"I'm surprised, to be honest," Oak said, scratching the back of his neck.

"Why?" I asked.

He sighed with relief. "I figured he would challenge you to a battle straight away."

I smirked. "He's lucky he didn't because Haru would've kicked his butt!"

Oak chuckled and let me be on my way. I stepped out of the lab and smelled the fresh air with what seemed like a brand new nose. I was so happy that I felt a song coming on, but it was too bad that I was tone-deaf.

I let Haru travel outside his pokéball so he could deter any wild Pokémon. He bounced around while smelling everything he could obtain.

I giggled and scooped him in my arms. "Haru, where do you want to go?"

Haru squirmed around and spotted a small brown bird Pokémon, Pidgey. He leaped out of my arms and stood his ground. Pidgey blinked at him and scurried away, Haru tried to follow but I picked him up before he could dart away.

"It's ok, Haru. He isn't stealing anything from us, so you don't need to fight anyone." I calmly said, stroking his scaly head.

He hugged and we continued on our way. It didn't take long to reach the next city, which was Viridian City.

It was amazing. The large buildings, the people walking around with various Pokémon, and all the colors I saw. I checked my pockets and had a bit of money, so I figured to could get a few pokéballs.

The store wasn't hard to find, and once I was in it, I was practically in heaven. The clerk was talking with another person in the back of the store, so I was left at the register all alone.

I only had enough for one measly pokéball, but once I beat Green in a Pokémon battle I would get more cash. The clerk sulked back and scanned my one pokéball.