Chapter 16

The Nature-Loving Princess

I couldn't figure out why I heard Kaen's voice in my head, but I shook off the strange feeling and headed for the gym.

After I beat the gym, I planned to head to the gaming corner and win the lottery so I didn't have to steal other people's money.

I was also debating on Kaen's evolution since I had all three stones, but I kept one particular one in mind. The city sky wasn't that breathtaking, but it was still beautiful.

Along the way to the gym, I saw a few shady people in all black, just lurking in different areas.

A shiver was sent up my spine as I approached the gym, but I saw something even creepier. An old man was staring inside the gym, I could tell he was getting a kick out of it too.

I cleared my throat and glared at him.

"Hehe... this gym is great! It's full of women!"

I don't think he heard me, so I gradually backed away and read the sign.

Celadon City Pokémon Gym
Leader: Erika
The Nature-Loving Princess

I moved Osore and Spike to the front of my belt since they were strong against grass types. I took a deep breath and swung the doors open.

Vivid greens and bright flowers caught my eyes, but the man who always gives me courage isn't here. I sank back a little but explored the front, hoping that the man would encourage me.

However, I saw something else that caught my eye. The name of the winning trainer: Green.

I forgot all about being encouraged and charged straight into the meadow of grass. I wasn't going to let Green upstage me any longer.

The old man wasn't joking, every trainer in here was a girl. Most of them glared at me and sighed in disappointment when I approached them for a battle.

They kept grumbling about me being a girl and how the lady challenger was hot. I had an idea that they were talking about Green, and they were right.

While battling, I spotted Erika in the very back of the gym, bending over with several children. I grew irritated since the gym lackeys haven't told her that I'm about to battle her.

The defeated beauty was scowling but ran straight over to Erika. Her bright yellow kimono went perfectly with her ebony hair. She elegantly guided the children to different sides of the meadow.

I headed over there as quickly as I could and faced Erika. She glared coldly as she held a pokéball in her hands.

"Lovely weather, isn't it?" Erika smiled.

I was caught off guard and scratched the back of my head. "Well... I guess."

She bowed her head. "Welcome to Celadon City Pokemon Gym. My name is Erika, the leader of this place."

Her formality made it rather uncomfortable for me since I'm not usually like that. "I-I'm Alyssa... from Pallet Town."

She nodded. "I am a student of the art of floral arrangement, and as expected, my Pokémon are of solely grass-types."