Chapter 32

Elite Four Agatha

I quickly healed up my friends in the span of the hallway. I couldn't believe that Bruno was that tough, Osore took quite a few hits from the fierce fighting types.

I felt a sudden chill that crept up behind me, and I saw faint fog trickling out of the next door. I sighed and called everyone back, I felt my hands shaking while grabbing my pokéballs.

Spike placed his hand on my arm and shook his head. I let out a chuckle. "You can tell huh?"

He nodded, calming me down from the sudden chill. Even with the fog, Spike was there to help me calm down. "Thank you, Spike. You'll be the first one out, ok?"

He nodded and we proceeded forward, Spike making sure I couldn't stop. I opened the door, and the fog engulfed the air. It felt like I was in a cemetery, and I could've sworn I saw some shadows running around.

I slowly took another step forward, and I saw a silhouette of a woman. I felt relieved and quickly ran to her. Spike followed me and cautiously glanced around the place.

"Um!"

She didn't say anything, but her graying blonde hair was frizzing in the thick fog. I took a step back, realizing who she was. This frail old woman with a black cane resembling a Gengar was Agatha, the third Elite Four member.

"It appears you know who I am." She grinned, "I hear Oak's taken a lot of interest in you, child."

My eyes widened at the mention of the Professor, and I had a question. Why has he taken an interest in me? He should be interested in his grandson who wants to be a champion, but Agatha didn't mention Green.

Agatha chuckled, looking far into the fog as if she were recalling the past. "That old bastard was once tough and handsome. But that was decades ago, he's a shadow of his former self."

She sounded bitter, recalling the old days when she knew the professor. "Now he just wants to fiddle with his Pokédex."

"Is that a bad thing?" I asked. "He found something he wanted to do. That doesn't sound all bad to me."

Agatha laughed. "He's wrong. Pokémon are for battling!"

I gasped, taken aback by her crude statement. "What?"

"Child, I'll show you how a real trainer battles!" Agatha sneered, throwing out her first Pokémon.

Spike ran ahead of me, standing in between Agatha and me. She had sent out a Gengar; a dark purple Pokémon with blood-red eyes that could very well be a shadow. It had a sinister smile that kept growing as it noticed that fear in my eyes.

"Confuse Ray," Agatha commanded.

Gengar opened its mouth and a faint ball of light came out, Spike stared at the ball as it came straight for him, and it disappeared once it hit his horn.

"Earthquake!" I shouted.

Spike stood very still, he wobbled from side to side before turning around and facing me. His eyes were wild, they searched the whole place before landing on me.

"...Spike? Are you ok?" I whispered, slowly backing away.

Spike lunged at me, his claws trying to aim at my gut. I barely jumped out of the way in time, but I was on the floor when he stood tall in front of me.

I gasped, realizing this was probably the end for me. Agatha wasn't doing anything to stop this confused Pokémon, and she was going to watch me die.

Green's smiling face flashed in my mind, and I glanced up at Spike who was getting his attack ready, I smiled at him. "Sorry, Spike. I couldn't take you to the Champion's seat. Sorry..."

Spike stopped and slowly released his arms, he turned back to Gengar and Agatha and screamed. He ran to the shadow Pokémon and shook the ground with his jump.

He was using Earthquake, and Gengar had fallen while getting crushed by the falling rubble. Agatha called back the ghost type and threw another Pokémon out. I could tell Spike was still struggling with his confusion, so I called him back and sent out Belphie.

Agatha had thrown out a Golbat, a huge blue bat with purple wings and a huge gaping mouth with fangs. I grinned, knowing that I made the right call.

"Thunderbolt!"

Belphie rose from the floor, yawning while stretching his tail. I realized that some clouds were forming in the room, and Belphie struck Golbat with a bolt of lightning. The flash of light made me close my eyes, and by the time I had opened them, Golbat was already on the floor.

I ran over to Belphie, who had fallen back to sleep, and waited for Agatha to chose her next Pokémon. I sent out Spike once again, and he was better than before.

Agatha sent out an Arbok, a large purple cobra with yellow and red patterns.

"Earthquake!"

Spike leaped at the snake, crumbling the rubble beneath Arbok. The large snake got squished with the cement, Agatha grimaced and called back Arbok.

I nodded at Spike, who waited for Agatha to send out another Pokémon. I figured she'd send out another Gengar, so Spike would have to prepare another Earthquake.

Sure enough, I was correct. Her Gengar came out and looked as sinister as the other.

"Hypnosis."

I gasped. "Spike, try and dodge it!"

I couldn't see the Hypnosis, but I could tell that it was closing in on Spike. I took a breath, "Earthquake!"

Spike leaped in the air, and crashed on the ground, causing Gengar to fall on its butt. Luckily, Spike's previous Earthquakes have caused so much damage that the rubble crumbled onto the shadow Pokémon.

Agatha sneered at me as she called back her second Gengar, I ignored her and ran to Spike, who was panting heavily. I apologized to him and sent out Kaen.

Agatha's last Pokémon was the pre-evolution of Gengar: Haunter. Its gaseous form had the shape of two claws and it had a large tongue that hung out of its mouth.

I had my secret weapon with Kaen's move pool, and he turned back and grinned at me. I don't think Agatha was expecting Kaen to have Shadow Ball, and his surprised face is one that I'll have a hard time forgetting.

Kaen's Shadow Ball struck Haunter straight in the face, almost as if the ghost was eating the shadow. It fell to the floor as Kaen ran up to me, his fur kept me warm as Agatha called back her final Pokémon.

She walked up to me, a smirk plastered on her face. "You're something special, child."

I smiled at her, continuing to pet Kaen on his head. "Thank you, Agatha."

"I see what the old bastard sees in you." She murmured, "I have nothing else to say. Run along now, Alyssa."

She reminded me of my grandmother, and I felt a bit bitter, but I still proceeded to the next hallway.

***
I was going to imply that Agatha and Oak were once a thing, but I decided not to since I don't know what their deal is.