Chapter 14

The Lightning American

I was ready for the Gym. I went ahead and taught Spike a ground type move, Dig. The TM came in handy, and it would be a big help to us for Lt. Surge.

I also got a Fishing Rod from another trainer who claimed to be the best fisherman in Kanto. I almost took him up on his challenge but remembered that I couldn't even fish in my world.

I even obtained a very crucial it, the Bike Voucher. All I had to do was listen to an old man go on about his favorite Pokémon, Rapidash. Of course, I enjoy hearing about anything Pokémon-related, so I happily listened.

I also taught HM 01 Cut to Haru, but I'd remove it in the future since it wasn't a powerful attack. Haru could also cut the small tree that was blocking us from Viridian Gym.

We were prepared, unlike our surprise battle with Green, for this Gym. The S.S. Anne wasn't just a cruise ship, it was a great place to train and get items.

An idea popped into my head as I approached the doors, so I took out a calming black stone. The stone gave off a faint glow, and I called out Spike.

He stared blankly at the stone, and then his eyes stared into mine. "Nido..."

"So you don't want to evolve yet huh? I'm sorry!" I apologized while hugging him tightly.

He shook his head and used his little pudgy arm to gently touch the black stone. I gasped, but it was already too late. Spike began to glow brightly and was being raised off the ground.

It was too bright to stare at, so I shut my eyes. Once I opened them, he had evolved into a Nidoking. I was quite surprised with his height since I expected him to be at least 5 foot 10, but I was taller by a few inches.

He looked even more intimidating than his previous form, but he was still the little Spike that I had caught and raised. I hugged him and almost cried.

He learned a new move with his evolution which was going to help us out with the Gym.

I approached the sign and read:

Vermilion City Pokémon Gym
Leader: Lt. Surge
The Lightning American

I raised my eyebrow, curiously reading the last part of the sign.

Surely he couldn't be an American, he couldn't be like me, could he?

I ran inside the gym, filled with the urge to ask the man known as the 'Lightning American' all the questions that had invaded my mind. I saw him in the back of his Gym, laughing out loud with his someone.

I recognized the other voice, and it was Green. I quickly hid behind the statue that was near the front doors.

"Hey champ in the making!" Blurted a loud voice.

I panicked and dragged the man next to me and shushed him. I glanced over at Lt. Surge and Green, who were still happily discussing whatever they were talking about.

"Oh, he already beat Lt. Surge a day ago." The man said.

I gasped. "What? Why is he still here?"

He shrugged. "I don't know, but he seemed pretty down when he came in. His battle fired him up and he became a little more cheery."

"I wonder what's up with him..." I mumbled, watching him wave goodbye to Lt. Surge.

Green left the building, but he still had a sad glint in his eyes. I wanted to call out to him, but who knows what he would say if he saw me without the Thunder Badge.