Chapter 18

Pokémon Tower

I gambled a little bit and got lucky, I got Flamethrower for Kaen. All the regulars were congratulating me and some even tried to give me money for it, but I refused since Kaen needed a fire type attack.

I was ready to continue the journey with my friends, but I wanted to return to Lavender Town first. I have to properly bury the dead Pokémon that I have been carrying.

I'll never forget the agonizing plea that Zubat gave me in Mt. Moon, nor will I forgive the grunt who killed it. It was early in the afternoon, so I would be out of the Pokémon Tower by nightfall.

***

I must've forgotten how long the walk to Lavender Town was since dusk was already approaching. I contemplated just staying in the Pokémon Center, but I didn't want to be a scared child forever.

I don't know if my memory was fogged up, but hardly anyone was in Lavender Town. It was eerie and even Nurse Joy came out of the back 10 minutes after I arrived.

She avoided making direct eye contact with me, which I found quite strange since Nurse Joy's are normally very friendly.

"Is the Pokémon Tower open for burials?" I asked, collecting my Pokémon.

Nurse Joy flinched and shuddered. "I advise you not to visit."

I tilted my head. "Why not?"

She just shook her head and disappeared. I got a chill up my spine and left the building. The town got foggy while I was in the Pokémon Center, and I saw a skull floating by.

I screamed and the skull fled the scene, but it was almost as if the skull was running rather than floating. I swallowed my fears and followed the skull.

It stopped at a run-down building with a few light cracks in the bricks. The door opened and a child scooped the skull in his arms.

"You still didn't find Mr. Fuji? It's fine, Cubone, I'm sure he's just- who are you?!" He jumped.

"I'm Alyssa... I'm here, visiting?" I replied.

The boy put down Cubone, who kept staring at me. "Well... if you happen to see an old man, please lead him back here."

"Who is the old man?" I asked, petting the Cubone.

"Mr. Fuji... he's a kind man who looks after abandoned and orphaned Pokémon, like this little guy." He replied, pointing to Cubone.

"What happened to it?" I asked, afraid of the answer.

The boy started to tear up and muttered the name I dreaded hearing. "Team Rocket."

My face darkened instantly and I stormed out of the old house. The tower was easy to find, but the boy was right. I saw a bunch of Team Rocket grunts lurking outside of the dark tower.

I managed to go inside, so I guess they weren't all heartless and evil. It was creepy inside of the tower. Nobody was inside, but I could feel the immense pressure of the spirits.

I gulped and went up the tower, and nothing but pitch blackness was in sight. I managed to trip on a few gravestones of deceased Pokémon, but I put them back.

I saw a dark figure, just standing in front of a gravestone. A faint purple glow let me make out who it was.

"Green?"

I could see him turn towards me, but I couldn't see his facial expression.

"Alyssa? What are you doing here?" He said dryly. "Did your Pokémon die?"