Chapter 39

The Genetic Pokémon

I threw the door open to Green's house and ran upstairs. Professor Oak was at his bedside, and Green looked surprised to see me. He glared at the Professor.

"Why is Alyssa here?" Green hissed.

The professor frowned and crossed his arms. "Why wouldn't she be here? She's been worried about you ever since you disappeared!"

Green turned away from me and the Professor left the two of us alone. I noticed that Green was all bandaged up as if he had been beaten. I quietly moved to his side, sitting where the Professor had been.

"...have you come here to laugh at me?" He growled. "To make fun of me?! Why are you here?"

"...I'm here because I was worried about you! Why would I be here to make fun of you?" I yelled back.

Green got up and looked me in the eyes, he clenched his blanket tightly. "Because! I lost against you! Then I challenged someone more powerful than you!"

I gently placed my hands over his, causing Green to cease his shaking. "Are you ok?"

Tears started flowing out of Green's eyes, steadily streaming down his cheeks. He sobbed as I hugged him, letting his emotions out must've been tough for Green.

He held my shoulders and he backed up. I noticed that his cheeks were slightly red and he avoided eye contact with me. "...thank you for worrying about me."

I felt my face heat up as I realized that Green was shirtless with bandages around his body. "What happened to you?"

Green's face darkened immediately as he flinched. "There's a monster out there."

I gasped and asked him to explain.

Green was hesitant to say anymore, but after pleading he finally gave in. "Well... after I lost you, I wanted to get stronger so I could challenge you again."

Green was staring into the distance, recalling his memories.

"I found myself in Cerulean Cave... and encountered a monster. It used powers beyond anything... not even my Alakazam's psychic powers could match it. Hell, not even Charizard could do anything." Green continued, running a hand through his hair.

I felt myself shudder when Green said that. I could barely beat his Charizard, and if I were to challenge this Pokémon, I wouldn't know if we could do it.

Green chuckled, catching me off guard. "It's funny... it looked... sad and angry. That's the last thing I remember before Charizard was thrown on top of me."

I watched as Green finished his story, and squeezed his hand tightly. "I see... that's why you're injured."

He nodded and returned the squeeze. "Umm... I-"

The door flung open, causing Green to release his grip on my hand. I felt a wave of slight anger rising since it could've been a perfect time for me to confess, but I glared at the door and saw the Professor.

"Sorry to interrupt, but Green, I'll bring your food up in a few minutes," Professor said. "Alyssa, would you like some too?"

I shook my head. "Thank you, but I have to take care of something."

Professor Oak nodded and closed the door again. I readied myself to leave Green's place, but he grabbed my hand. "Where are you going?"

I turned around and smiled. "It's a secret!"

Green didn't let go of my hand, so I turned around and got up close to his face. "I'll be ok! I'm the champion, after all!"

He reluctantly let go and I disappeared from his sight. I felt my heart leap out of my chest as I closed the door, I caught my breath and ran outside. I called Osore out and readied to fly.