Chapter 26

The Strongest Trainer

I hesitated when I pulled out the Thunderstone. I gulped as I called Belphie out of his pokéball, he was yawning as he came out. He blinked at me as I held up the stone, and he nodded before he went back to sleep.

"Um... was that a yes? You don't mind?" I asked the sleeping Pikachu.

He just snored. I frowned but gently touched the cold stone to his fur. Belphie started glowing brightly, but I could still see that he hadn't woke up yet. I sighed but watched with glee as he started growing.

He was released from the glow. Belphie now had dark orange fur with a white belly. His lightning-shaped tail turned into a long, thin tail with a thunderbolt at the end. He was so cute now, I hugged him and he still stayed asleep.

I sighed but giggled as I called him back into his pokéball. I called out Osore, who stretched his wings, I hopped on his back and we flew into the sky.  I felt the cool wind flow through my hair, and I still couldn't believe that this was real.

I was also feeling depressed since I knew it would end. The feeling of dread kept creeping back up on me whenever I was having a great time, but I couldn't just let this keep dragging me down. I shook off the feeling and stood tall for them, my friends, who believed in me and they are still here with me.

Osore cawed, and I saw that we were just above Viridian City. I told him to go down, and he landed right in front of the Gym. I ruffled Osore's feathers and thanked him.

I stood tall in front of the gym, feeling anxious as I hesitated to go inside.

"Ah... you heard that the Viridian Gym leader has returned?" Said an old, frail voice.

I quickly turned and saw an old man, walking with a Weedle. "Ah... yes. I was just thinking..."

"Don't stress out too much. Your Pokémon will be able to feel that too, good luck." He smiled and slowly walked away.

I bitterly smiled and read the sign in front. I was a little confused since it only mentioned the name of the city. I shrugged and entered the gym, I saw the man who normally greets me.

He appeared troubled, but as soon as he saw me he smiled. "Champ in the making!"

I waved and glanced around. "Not much going on here..."

He hesitated but soon laughed. "Well our leader has finally come back, but to tell you the truth I don't even know who he is."

"Huh? You either? This is kinda exciting..." I mumbled.

He shook his head. "This challenge will be the most difficult of all."

I smirked. "Even better!"

I went running off into the mysterious gym, wandering through the maze called a gym. I only saw a few trainers, and many of them didn't even want to battle. I found this quite strange since these trainers should want to battle, but they ignored me.

I could see a darkroom in the very back of the gym, I gulped but started walking there. I couldn't believe the gym leader let their gym fall into such a sad state, but I guess I could give them a pass if they were busy with business.

There was a motion light that lit up the back room. I rubbed my eyes to see if I was seeing correctly, and I was. I took a step back and fell to my knees. "Impossible..."

I heard an evil laugh, and I ran into the newly lit room. He sat there, a Persian purring as he stroked its head. The same outfit he had as Team Rocket's boss, and the same evil eyes that steal all Pokémon.