PK Pandemonia Arc: Chapter 67 - Compromise

18 February 2024

Katalysis, 43rd Floor

The evening breeze slapped my face hard as I shot through the front door of the inn, spotting Rakuno speeding off into a seemingly random direction.

Well, I guess there were only ever 2 ways to take in a cramped alleyway sandwiched by buildings lined up in either side, so I guess saying that she turned right was the appropriate description, though I didn't think she would have cared which way she would have taken to find Krieg.

Who was, ironically, 'calling for the assistance for anyone in the vicinity', as quoted from his message. I was always fascinated by the way Krieg had always wrote his messages, due to his sophistry in speech and all. I got used to his personality at some point in time, but I always had the knack for thinking about the interesting quotes that he would bring to the table whenever he sends messages to me.

He treats anyone he talks to with as much respect as he could possibly give. Of course, because of that, I have grown to respect him as well, not in the same way, but to the same degree.

Krieg's message in this case didn't say much, apart from the quote. Assuming he was in some kind of trouble, it was unthinkable for him to write even a complete sentence in such circumstances. Even so, it was very brief:

"Is now cornered against a wall. Calling for the assistance of anyone in the vicinity."

It would be unimaginable if we weren't in that 'vicinity', but I could sense the urgent tone of Krieg's message, which focus definitely wasn't on the choice of words used.

Even if Krieg's message had contained just a subtle hint of a request for help, it would be enough for Rakuno to come to his assistance right away.....apparently.

She called me to follow her, but ran off on her own, leaving me in a fluster. Was she always like that with her parties as a Drifter? I mean, being a Drifter myself, I wouldn't spare that much effort in trying to protect my clients, especially when they can manage themselves most of the time.

I almost lost sight of her swerving through the players, towards the tall canyon walls bordering the city. The wall borders, which we had never visited yet in Katalysis. They were, in the context of this world, a natural structure of defense against anything which doesn't go through the entrance.

It was the logic that Rakuno had figured out--or rather--assumed rather quickly. Krieg did mention that he was near some wall, but he never said what kind. That would have required the effort of searching for all the standing flat structures in the city, but Krieg wouldn't have been there.

Because he would have already infiltrated the city via the wall borders and reported to me about it.

Although searching the wall borders seemed to be a good decision of impulse from Rakuno, the off-chance of her being wrong had me slightly worried. No one wants to waste time on any kind of rescue operations, just because they turned out to be wrong on where the trouble was.

With the wall borders being my only landmark, I swiftly went after Rakuno, hoping to catch up to her before reaching there.

==========================================================

POV: Rakuno

I kept my eyes staring up on the wall borders as I dodged past anyone in my way. The night proved to be a challenge for me trying to look ahead. Crashing into someone was the last thing I needed to deal with, and just an apology won't cut it.